Quick question: Selling a car.

I’m handling selling the in-law’s car for them. I agreed to drop the car off at the buyer’s house tonight and have him give me a ride home. He said I don’t need to take the plates off. I thought you had to turn the plates in to cancel insurance.

Take the plates? OK to leave them on the car?

you take them … they have to get turned in for your insuarance, otherwise he could drive it under you

im almost 100% positive that your gonna want those plates as soon as you drop it off and as far as it goes with delivering it i remember when i had the sale of my snowmobile go “bad” i recall someone saying that if something went wrong with the car it would be easier for them to come after you, but who knows on that one.

This guy seems like a pretty straight up dude. He’s an R&D PhD chemist here at Praxair, so I doubt that there will be any problems. I’m just unsure about whether or not I can leave the plates.

Drop the car off…Take the plates off…Get a ride back in a different car.

yea and bring the plates back to the dmv before you drop your insurance from the car… NYS is a bitch with its penalties

Take the Plates.

Thanks!

take the plates.

go to DMV…bring $1 cash (important) and surrender it.

retrieve the green form with cancellation number.

cancel insurance with that number…

take the plates no matter what

take registration and inspection and plates.

in some states NOT NY the plates belong to the car not the owner…like Kentucky…the car is assigned plates at 1st registration and they stay with it…so maybe thats what he thinks…but in NY take the plates and return them to the DMV and you will get a green card to cancel insurance

Yeah, that’s what he thought. He’s used to how things are done in Minnessota (sp?) not NY. Oh well, he just left with the car with his plates, reg, and insurance on it. I’ve got my plates, reg, and insurance here.

What a lapse in judgement that was. I did the guy a favor and met him at the DMV, took his money, he registered the car, we went back to his place, swapped plates and reg, and he gave me a ride home in his new car. All the while he’s fully aware that I’ve got bank checks for $13k in my pocket that he just gave me. Stupid on my part, but all’s well that ends well.