Quick questions about BMW M3's

I’ve always wanted one… something about the styling and sound of the V8 that I’m drawn too…

I was in love with the E46 until the E92 (coupe) debuted…blah blah blah…

I’ll get to the point.

I check auto trader at least once or twice a month since I can remember for prices and options.

I’m getting older and I feel I should grab a slightly used one with low miles before my kids eat me out of house and home. (insert middle age crisis cliche)

So what are the best options and colors I should be looking for?

I’m assuming alpine white of some sort with manual 6 speed at least?

Whats the maintenance like?

On the m3 I would get it with dct if you plan on leaving stock. Maintaining it is much less wallet busting compared to a 335i (turbos, hpfp, water pump etc). Deff get the premium and tech package.

Sent from my iPhone 6

honestly im actually almost sold on going back to an m3 (e36/e46) for a daily driver or perhaps giving an e39 m5 a shot.

either way ive never driven a new (read:newer than e46) m3 but the e36 and e46 seemed to always be plagued with cooling issues. then e46’s you have to make sure the subframe isn’t rippng through the body. RTAB/FCAB (rear trailing arm bushings/front control arm bushings) on both chassis im speaking of. ive also heard of the guibo going bad from time to time.

If I remember correctly they have inspection 1 and inspection 2 which bounce back and forth every 40k miles. Oh and around 100k just remember to check the valve clearance. personally I never had vanos issues but that’s also a thing too.

perhaps join up on m3forum and see if they have some buyers guide posted.

I miss driving a manual so I would have to go 6 speed. I don’t know much about the dct other than it’s basically an auto?

i love my E90 M3… if DCT vs. manual is an important choice. you cant go wrong either way.

go for all options. BMW packages them such that there is 1 or 2 necessities in each pack and a bunch of stuff you dont want with them :slight_smile:

if you dont want to move it much then try and find a comp pack sedan… you will be many happies.

i think spending the extra $ for CPO is a good hedge. yeah it costs more from the dealer but you are increasing your chances of getting a better cared for car (probably leased or financed and maintained through the dealer) and then you get the CPO which covers a fair bit.

why not look into a newer one?

Well I’ve been debating this for awhile. If I got new I’d go M4 (BMW only offers the M3 in the sedan now) but $70k+ for a car isn’t in my budget unless I sold my f150 Raptor. Plus driving an M3/M4 in the winter here is not something i want to do. If I’m spending $70k+ I’m more geared to getting something else honestly. I’d like to get a CPO but CPO’s are restricted to year and usually these are a bit more pricey.

• Updated - - -

I’ve also thought about going this route seeing it seems the e92’s sell quick and the E90’s stick around on dealer lots a bit longer; plus having two kids I might convince the wife I can get another toy that’s family friendly.

have you looked into leasing?

Just on a few local dealership websites and there was no options for leasing M3’s that I saw… I could be wrong.

Do the newer M3s hold their value? or do they plummet like a rock like the 335s?

From what I’ve seen a little. That’s why I’m considering used.

great lease rates right now, 66% residual on m3

30k miles 3 years 66% of value

great residuals on leasing right now as well as some dealers willing to negotiate before 2016’s come out

Who and where? I’d be willing to check it out.

So upper $500s a month for a lease with a few grand down?

X…

10k miles a year should be close to that on a stripped down model. Msrp is 62 but easily climbs into the high 70’s.

Id say mid 600s is more realistic since you should put the least amount down on a lease

I thought you could also factor euro delivery into a lease for another 7 or so percent off? That would make it real attractive. I know when I looked at an m3 with just a few options it was in the lower 60s with ED.

X…

Correct

Just got finished reading about this… sounds very cool. Just the experience alone might be worth getting into a new M4.

Friend of mine has done ED on 2 M cars.

Was it a great experience, sounds like it if he did it twice? Kid friendly?