Quiet rock soundproof drywall?

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Watching the Sabres game with my stereo and then watching a movie after, my neighbor came banging on my door pissed off as all hell, pulled me over to his side of the apartment wall and made me listen to the noise. I could hear the bass as clear as day, shocked that there was absolutely NO sound proofing between our living rooms!

I had heard his bass before on my side, but apparently he doesn’t turn it up ever. I had it at a reasonable volume for watching a movie… IE… I had bass on! He said “I have been dealing with your bass for months! I texted you twice already to please turn it down!” I replied with “I figured you meant just those two times… sorry.”

I want to remedy the situation since I just renewed my lease. The wall is only 13 feet long at normal room height.

Anyone do installations? Anyone know where to buy it? Costs/etc?

Investigating, the two apartments are only seperated by two 5/8" normal drywall and NO insulation in between. They even told my neighbor “They are seperated with concrete.” It was either a lie or the construction people forgot to put the correct drywall in between us!

I do not want to remove the drywall that exists and it is an apartment, not a condo. If they won’t do it for me, I will do it myself and not tell them. I want to put the QuietRock on top of the existing drywall to add extra insulation.

I want this problem to go away, and I really don’t want to be a dick on accident to my neighbors!

Ouch.

Quiet rock is supposedly very good, not sure where you can get it locally though.
They do sell a couple soundproofing items at Home Depot… basically like drywall. You can just screw it up right over your drywall, use soundproofing joint compound… primer and paint right over it.

edit;
think it’s $26 for a 4x8 sheet at home depot.
I think.
don’t quote me on it.

Insulation alone will not do anything. Bass frequencies travel the furthest and are the biggest nuisance in soundproofing. You can get the studio foam kits from Musicians friend…I don’t think Guitar Center sells them

Auralex Studiofoam Designer Kit

$99.00 [LINK]
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/2/4/9/371249.jpg

or you’d probably be better off with the Pro pack
Auralex DS-2 Pro Designer Kit
$249.99 [LINK]
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/8/1/4/307814.jpg

You can get some really good advice from guys who do this kinda stuff for a living at www.homerecording.com/bbs. Explain your situation and they’ll probably steer you towards the stuff you need.

the stuff above will do nothing to insulate you and your neighbor…

i did a LOT of research on soundproofing…

there is no easy and foolproof way to do it unless you drastically reconstruct the wall

there are only 2 differant types of soundproofing that work

Mass & decoupling

mass means just that, you add mass to the barrier, ie fill it with concrete or lead

(you can get material that goes betwene the 2 sheets of drywall that adds mass, and decouples)

its expensive though

for de coupling you need to add air space and ensure that the 2 walls dont share connections

this is acomplished by double studding the walls, or builing a false wall inside one of the partments with a deadspace inbetween

but bass is the hardest to kill, and unless your willing to spend 1-2k soundproofing the rooms, you may just want to turn down the sub

Aurelex sucks. And definitely won’t do stuff for bass. Get green glue and install another layer of drywall with green glue as a spacer. You can also add a sheet of mass loaded vinyl or face the wall with rigid fiberglass panels on standoffs.

Cost of green glue? MLV would cost me $200 for the wall at around $2/sq.ft. Also, green glue comes in caulk bottles yet you want to put a full layer all over the wall, I’m confused by their website. I’ll do more research on the rigid fiberglass panels. As for standoffs are you talking about resilient channel?

I talked to my brother who is an architect who pulled out of his ass something along the lines shown below…

He said that ideally it would be beneficial to put a Resilient Channel behind the layers of drywall, but I told him I wasn’t going to pull the wall apart to do this (it’s an apartment, not my home)

So, he said that I could put it on top of the drywall to seperate the two, and then put the $40/board QuietRock 525 on that which will help quite a bit.

I will need 4 boards at around $40, then the RC-1 which is pretty inexpensive and some sort of sound deadening caulk to seal the edges (not sure on cost)

Hopefully I can convince my apartment complex to pay for it as they said “that’s a concrete wall” when I signed my lease. It clearly is not any different than the internal walls…

So you’re planning on doing this in an apartment? and the complex is ok with it :lol:

Generally massively reconstructing walls is frowned upon…

its not going to work. Your wasting your $

why don’t you just turn down the bass, bro?

Seriously…

Your spending money on an apartment that you do not own?

Put that money in the bank and go buy a house. Obama will give you 8 grand to start off.

Jeff it’s an apartment, you are wasting your time and own money.

They will not asborb the cost, and unless you have it in writing that says the walls between apartments are concrete you won’t make it to far.

Sucks that you just re-signed the lease.

Quick answer: Find a friend who works in a hospital. Ask him for lead x ray vests. Decorate wall with lead vests. Problem solved. OR just buy him a surround system to. That way his bump will cancel your bump.

I live in an up down duplex, he has a shitty surround i have a nice one. When his goes up, mine goes on and then up to mute his out. Its the shitty part of living in an apt. As much as you want to your bound to piss off someone. Honestly just tell him to deal with it, im sure its in the lease there is a “quiet hour” noted like 11pm or 12am. If you go by the lease and thats in there he has no real arguement.

You do realize bass travels through more than just walls right?

Green glue and drywall is your best option for trebble sound proofing, the only thing that can stop bass is decoupling, which green glue kind of does, but you really need a floating wall

This is why I suggested the foam. It’s not going to do much but it will soften the blow. I don’t know any apartment complex that allows tenants to either hack apart the wall or start adding more to it. Those triangle shaped foam pads are Bass traps. They’ll dampen the bass frequencies. Just modifying one wall will not help very much either as Joe pointed out.

I dealt with this before, I turned it down until I bought a house, now I rattle the windows whenever I want. Sorry for the unhelpful post.

knock hole in top of wall between studs
pump in concrete
repeat all the way down wall
hope building doesn’t collapse
??
profit

Best advice right there. I still live with my parents, but the house is usually empty during the afternoons which is when i can crank it up till my ears bleed(hasn’t happened… yet). And i’m on the 2nd floor of my house, i can feel the bass in my driveway. So good luck isolating it in an apartment building(though i’m sure your sub is more of the “home theatre in a box” type dealies in which case you can isolate it easier than myself)

1. drill a hole about 5" in diameter in a corner straight thru to your neighbor.
  2. Turn up the bass. Alot.
  3. Now his entire apartment essentially becomes your very own personal ported subwoofer.
  4. Profit?