RB 280zx project, suggestions?

The project is a 1983 Datsun 280zx with an RB25det. The motor & transmission are mounted in but nothing else is connected as far as wires and hoses etc. The drive shaft will need to be fitted which will probably involve cutting the original and welding it to the stub that’s at the end of the RB transmission. I can provide a few pictures soon.
I simply don’t have the time or knowledge to finish this project and someone suggested to me to have CRC finish it. This sounds like a good idea but I want a backup plan in case for some reason it doesn’t work out, so does anyone have any suggestions to other places that would be capable of finishing this project?
I’m looking for something that’s reasonable, if I can get the stock RB engine running and the Datsun driving I’ll be happy, I don’t need all the bells & whistles if I can’t afford it
cheers

Ass and Crc are your best bets for a project being finished and done right. Not many more in the area for suck things.

However be prepared to pay garage hourly rate for all the things you aren’t doing yourself during the project. Even the basic things such as bolting and unbolting parts which will drive the price up.

Best thing you can do is do as much as you can yourself before handing it off.

I’d highly recommend CRC. Excellent prices, service, and a good bunch of dudes over there.

+1. them boys be doin work.

I have a Front Mount Intercooler kit designed specifically with single turbo RB motors in mind for sale CHEAP. lmk if you wants :slight_smile:

Plumbing and wiring shouldnt be too hard. What are you doing for engine managment/ecu?

Driveshaft. Its a bit more involved then cutting one off and welding on another half. Keeping it concentric so it doesnt wobble to death, and balancing it after the fact is best left up to a drive shaft shop.

The best way, (see do it once and forget about it) is we would take measurements as required, and give them to a custom driveshaft shop and have them make a shaft specific to the car. It will have the right yokes, proper plung on the output shaft, length, pinion yoke, ballanced, and all new. IRC the cheapest one can be done is around $350 or so, for a steel unit that will hold plenty of power for what you will do with it. Then its a simple bolt in job. The time it would take to cut, fit, weld, machine, ballance, and rebuild joints, you will be %80 to the cost of a new custom shaft, + the confidance its correct.

What is the timeframe you are looking at here? Weres the car located? And Welcome to Shift.

Soy, I’d recommend CRC as well. Check out their threads under “sponsors”. They have several projects going on, including my MGB V6 conversion. Good bunch of guys doing some great work!

Thanks Ralph!

I could get you in right now as I have some downtime from a fab job that was supposed to be in here but the customer up and vanished without a phone call. PM with your contact information and we can talk. I’m sure many here can do the whole “vouch” thing if it’s necessary.

Adam Hennessy
Rennessy Fabrication

see, i told you that you would find the info you needed here :slight_smile:

Adam having downtime !!! Holy shit chicken dinner we have a winner !!!

+1 for Adam. He’s only built my Porsche 996TT motor, my R34 GTR transmission, my whole Subaru pretty much, and anything else I threw his way lol.

Thanks, just PMed you

pm boxersix to get it done right and in a timely manner. Hes got plenty of quality work work rolling through the area.

it’d get done the right way by CRC, ASS or adam, but CRC is swamped right now with a shitload of work to be done and not enough people to do it.
seems like adam id less overworked then crc, which means he’d be on it faster, and therefore it’d be out the door and under your ass quicker

2am and I’ve got an RB wiring harness all over my living room floor at the moment. Someone went all nazi on this thing with a pair of nips. Have to rebuild a few things from the ECU out and build a relay/fuse center for it. OEM R33 fuse box gave me an ugly look so I took an axe to it.

Best thing you can do to Nissan wiring haha

time for a megasquirt.

All above are good shops. If BoxerSex Adam has down time I would jump on it tho. Last I knew the guys at ASS were open for a project too. All 3 have more than enough knowledge and experience to finish her up.

PS. Albany Drive Shaft said they would make me a brand new 3.5" aluminum shaft with over sized yokes for about $350-$400. A small steel one would probably be closer to $250
LS1 @ 4000rpm + Twin disk + DRs = twisted aluminum mess

I picked up the car and trailered it to my shop last week. Already starting working on it :slight_smile:

Driveshaft is simple on this car. I’ll weld it up and have Dave balance it at the machine shop.