Rb25 Turbo Shaft play :(

Hey son, I am looking for some opinions on turbo shaft play. I recently took off my maf and
filter to take a look at the turbo because I was feeling the car wasn’t hauling as much ass the
past month ,and heard some weird whining noise easier to hear at low throttle…

I have read that a little shaft play up and down is not so bad I have no play up and down.
But I have some in and out shaft play, maybe 2-3mms but the oil seal on the turbo is still fine
atm. Is this a big issue?

if its starting to whin like a super charger soon it will just get worse, and eventually you will probably leak oil or coolant.

you wont leak coolant. but your turbo might get smoky from burning oil also from time to time check the intake side of the turbo make sure there is no oil on in the pipes.

I would say run the turbo till it blows. buy a new or good used one. problem with most turbos from these cars is that it almost costs more to rebuild them then to buy a new one. so run it till it stops spinning or you see nasty scraps and nicks in the prop then buy a new one. they are only around 800 new give or take and that will last you many many years.

yeah run it till it blows, ^ i blew my turbo and got another used turbo off some jdm shop, i made the guy give me at least a 1 day warranty.
I didn’t check it at the place i bought it from, anyways i installed it and it had a little bit of in and out play and it was burning coolant like like crazy, luckily i forced the guy to give me 1 day warranty

haha good call, thanks peeps. I’ll just wait to tune it and save for the gt3076 turbo, il take it easy on this turbo in the meantime (it is making that supercharger whine for sure). Thanks again.