(re)building my new / johns old 280z

Shooting flames are cool, sitting in them is not.

I ended up rewiring parts of the car and took it for a spin, runs good now and the battery actually charges
you probably heard me getting on it last night

Got the car timed and tuned the carb’s A/F mixture, it has way more go than ever before.

I upped the limiter to 5800, and will be looking to get a new exhaust welded up once i get my holiday check from work. After that it’s off to the dyno!

Took the spacer off today, far better response but it has shitty idle now… gasket must be leaking. fuuu

also plugs look like it was detonating slightly, damnit.

Well after battling with some electrical no-start issues for about 7 hours straight i gave up…

Went to the JY to get a relay i thought was the problem (it wasn’t) and found THIS:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21470[/ATTACH]

dealer option sunroof, i was ecstatic! i was looking for one of these for so long for my old Z i could never find one, and when i did they were usually 250-350$ i got this for 20$

Holes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21466[/ATTACH]

Gotta clean up the sealer tomorrow when it dries

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21469[/ATTACH]

Pretty neat how they designed the two pieces to sandwich into each other, the weather strip hides the screws… all 20+ of them every 2 inches.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21471[/ATTACH]

How it looks on the car open

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21468[/ATTACH]

Can I get my grinder back tomorrow?

Yeah im done with it. i’m off all day. Just let me know when you want to stop by.

What JY had Z’s?

skyway auto parts, its on tift street. They have all the parts you wanted too… but good luck getting to them, you will need them to get the fork truck

oh, they also have a bunch of 300zx’s and i think i saw 2 280zx’s in the distance.

you might get lucky and score a 3.7 clsd out of a 2+2

I have a 3.7clsd sitting in my garage, which is why I want the r200 parts.:mrgreen: I talked to a guy on CL who was parting a 280, but he hadn’t taken it apart yet and who knows when he actually will.

Only the 87+ turbo’s have the clsd, 2+2 or not doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t mind picking up another to flip and recoup some of the money I spent on this one though.

Fuck, I want to see pics but i’m not a member and dont feel like becoming one. laaazzyyy

i don’t understand why you posted this

Clean pretty similar car, figured I’d share dipshit.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Takes 2 minutes, lol.

Sent engine off to klispies

building 383 stroker, scat cast crank forged H beam rods and pistons -4cc flat tops.

Should be 10.7:1 CR when done.

Debating if i should ditch the sportsman II heads right now for AFR 195’s or wait till my tax return.

if i pass on the AFR heads i can get an MSD 6AL box, Lunati cam kit (cam specs are below) bigger stall converter, an actual well fitting exhaust, and maybe some new headers if i can find a set that fits.

The cam kit includes cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, and the timing set.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 284/292
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 241/249
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .525/.546
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2500-6600

In other news, i ordered a set of diamond racing wheels, chrome lips with unfinished centers that will be painted.

Got 2x 15x10-25 ET and 2x 16x8-12 ET

I also re-did the entire engine wiring harness, underdash is coming up tomorrow. I didn’t take pics but everything is nice and hidden away in conduit wrapped in heat shielding tape.

also painted the engine bay while i was there, ordered a maxi fuse box too, i replaced my fusible links with it on my old Z, time to do it again on this one.

Looks like this: http://www.hammondsplains.com/s30upgrades/maxifuse/maxifuse.jpg

got a set of these: http://www.camaros.net/pnwcc/DjD/mt_covers.jpg

And finally, some REAL tires.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21695[/ATTACH]

i think thats too much duration for your compression.

i would go for aluminum heads over iron heads. ik200’s.

btw, msd box is a waste. hei ignition will support over 600hp without a problem, especially in the rpm range youll be running.

Took the dash out today to remove all the burned shit and wires.

[ATTACH]21709[/ATTACH]

melted shit

[ATTACH]21704[/ATTACH]

Everything that was burnt / melted removed + harness’

[ATTACH]21705[/ATTACH]

This is where the UPS guy showed up.

Not pictured are all the misc gaskets, sealants, oils, fluids etc that i didnt bother taking photos of.

[ATTACH]21707[/ATTACH]

Stupid pricy carburetor

[ATTACH]21706[/ATTACH]

Dash put back in, waiting on cam / lifters and headers now.

sending it off for a balance tomorrow

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21710[/ATTACH]

damn, that heater core was brand new lol

More parts arrived

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21719[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21717[/ATTACH]

Maxifuse block showed up, i did this modification on my old Z, basically removes all the factory splices and fusible links into a nice neat SAFE box.

I also went through and re-wired and checked the harness, 1qikz saw what it looked like before, wish i got a picture of it… oh well.

put the wires in some conduit and wrapped them in heat tape, i’ll also be wrapping the headers themselves, except i got some angle plug headers instead of straight plugs, john had to use a spacer to make the old vortech headers fit… it added about 3/4 inch of material and brought the headers really close to the wires.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21718[/ATTACH]

After i ran the wires

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21716[/ATTACH]

The only thing left to do is to run a wire from the alternator to the top left hand side of the box once the engine is installed, followed by running another wire from the top right of the box to the starter