Re-occuring Firing on 3 cylinders

Alright the problem I am having is that my s13 sr will randomly fire on 3 cylinders. Last summer I bought another ignitor chip and it worked after that. Then about mid summer it fired on 3 cylinders again, was slowly getting it home (3mins of driving) and bam started firing on all 4 again. It was fine until mid september last year when right before I put it away for the winter it started firing on 3 again. I’ve cut the tape off the harness to check grounds and all the connections and everything is fine. Had another person double check it for me. This leads me to beleive it is the ECU. Am i right in this or is there any other things it could be?

Thanks
Jim

do you know exactly what cylinder is failing at times ?

might be a coilpack… i couldnt see it kicking in and working then kicking out and not work (and so forth) but check it out. only other thing in my mind would be the ECU yes but even at that, for it to work one day and then not the next, that seems fishy.

if its a coilpack, maybe one of the clips is broken so if you hit a bump the right away the plug might disconnect from the coilpack, then when you hit another bump, it connects back up ? dont really know… but I’d start with testing the coilpacks :wink:

It is always on the #1 Cylinder
I knew I would forget to mention everything. I also thought it was the coil packs. So I swapped the coil packs around and it was still on the #1 cylinder.

swap your injectors around , see if the problem goes to another cylinder, maybe your injectors are stuck , ive had this happen a few times with different sets of injectors

Will the injector being stuck stop the cylinder from getting spark? Also the ignitor chip get VERY VERY hot, like burns skin hot when this problem occurs.

Jim

no it will not cause it from getting spark but what it will do is cause the cylinder not to fire from being flooded

could it possibly be bad plug wires? maybe one time you tried pulling a wire out and pulled too hard and ripped it from inside? happend to me and the car only ran on 3 cylinders untill i bought new wires