REALbasic help needed

so i need this program for school. it’s called REALbasic. the class is visual basic.net. the best i can tell, this is the closest thing i can use to visual basic on a mac. the license key is $300.00 for 6 months for educational purposes. that’s a little steep IMO. does anyone have a hook up on program keys?

What Version, Dex?

get a pc and dl vb.net for free from microsoft.

cant go wrong with that…

or just install windows on ur mac if its a power book.

i really hope you are not taking CS with out having a pc at home you can work with.

Close isn’t going to cut it in this case. There are hundreds of basic variations out there. But I can guarantee most anything you write in that won’t work in your class without modification.

fixed for ya

it’s release 3.

windows is only installable on intel based macs like macbooks and macbook pros. i have an older one that is not intel based. it’s not an option.

i’m getting a windows PC, but it won’t be for a couple months that i’ll have the money. so i’m just trying to get by. it’s not a huge deal, i can just do the work in the lab at school. VB is easy so it won’t be too bad. it’d be nice to be able to hammer it out at home though if need be.

that’s kinda what i figured, but i thought i’d try this. if someone can get the code, i will. if not, oh well.

btw, i fucking hate that i cant so everything i wanna do in computer science major using a linux or mac machine.

over the years ive grown to really dislike my windows machines. but its always there to haunt me when im trying to do labs and shit.

arrggghhhhhh

yea. unfortunately for this class, windows is your only option it seems. this REALbasic shit is a wild shot in the dark. i’m not really a fan of windows, but i’m going to pick up a basic box for my CS shit.

Well if you are in CS then you going to have to understand that most software companies develop software for Windows based machines. The Linux/Mac market it just simply not there. Evey one uses a windows machine so the market for developing the software for windows based pcs are much larger. So that is why you learn .net development languages, C, C++.

If you want to stay away from learning those type of applications for pc’s then i suggest learning web languages. The market is just as large and is multi based platformed. So you can stick with your linux or mac box’s. Only thing you have to worry is what OS the server is ruining.

But to be honest. stop your bitching and learn the shit for windows regardless if you hate it or not, once you have learned the structure and foundation of programming you will learn them all. And if you want a high paying programming job… 1st thing get out of buffalo 2nd buy a PC and love it.

lol. as much as i spend my time on here disagreeing with dos, i have to give him credit there.

i’ve consented to a life of using PC’s at work, and mac’s at home. i just need the money to buy a windows box so i don’t have to keep looking for ways to get around all that shit.

yeah yeah.

i understand why i need a pc. i was looking into development software a little while back to run on OSX, then i realized that u cant develop a windows program on a mac, cause even if u wrote the code, how the hell would u ever test it. so yeah, i see what ur saying that all the apps need to be developed in windows. whatever, not a huge deal cause i always have windows machines around, usually dual-booted. but i prefer to spend my time on linux/mac, so it would be nice.

Buy a new intel based mac…dual boot…

if money wasn’t a thing, then i would…but i have more bills than income it sometimes seems. it’d be a lot cheaper to pick up a bare bones windows box and just run it for when i’m at home and need to do this stuff.

Buy a shitty old PC 500MHz or less machine for next to nothing.
Finish your classes

Profit?

You could probably find an old P3 system for near $20 and do what you need on that. Whole lot of old computers out there that can easily do the tasks you need.

Hell you can buy a AMD Acer for $300…

:word:

fixed.

and that’s the exact plan. although the VB.net teacher was saying .net versions require a fairly powerful computer…truth?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa497338.aspx

256MB of RAM and a “high-end” P3 are pretty cheap nowadays.

The biggest issue you might have is just compile times. I doubt you will be writing anything complex enough to cause a problem. eBay is the way to go, as people in buffalo seem to think that crap is worth something. Occasionally you might find something at the fleamarket. But for the $20-40 price range at most you’ll probably end up with a 533 or something lower.

If you are REALLY cheap scrapping one together from garbage also works. Usually not too hard to find a case/power supply or even whole computer. As computer noobs typically toss them out for easily fixed issues in nicer neighborhoods.

ive got some parts that u can use to build a pIII, hell, i could prolly throw together a whole system for ya

Told you not to buy a mac! I might have an extra computer, call me later.