Mac and MS

Well, the computer I recently posted about is a Sony Vaio Desktop. I have had this computer for 5-6 years and this is the 1st major hiccup I have had with it. I am kinda at whits end with where to go other than dumping the HD.

Anyway, the real reason why I am posting this, is that I am in the market for a new notebook. I have an Older IBM Thinkpad which just does not cut it anymore. I have been considering one of the Mac G4s with Intel Processors now. My major concern is will I be able to transfer some data and programs accross the board and have them working on both OS’s?

From what I understand, Macs now can run a Windows Emulator of sorts. So I think it would be possible.

yeah… macs have a program available to run windows on it. Although, I’m pretty sure file types and stuff, for the most part, are the same between the 2 OS’s so I don’t see you running into any problems there.

I’d go with a PC personally, but it all depends on what you want to use it for and/or do with it in the future

I switched to apple back in like 1999, haven’t looked back since. With either Paralells or BootCamp you can run WinXP (or linux, etc). With the hardware being superior quality and actually the prices are sometimes CHEAPER (compare apples to apples, no pun intended) - sure you can get a $400 Dell but it’s gonna be a slow Celeron POS with no ram and a tiny, slow disk and shit video card, Apple’s a good value AND performance leader. If you have any questions about switching either go check out the Apple store and talk to someone where, or feel free to PM me.

you are comparing DELL, and apple, in terms of quality. Shame on you

Good ish! I appreciate the feedback on it.

apple is definitely not known for their hardware

i really do not think the harware is “superior quality”

Personally after dealing with different laptops day in and out. Apple’s tend to have much better fit & finish than the Dell’s, Sony’s, and Gateway’s that pass through each day.

However try using windows with one button, not going to happen easily anyways. :tdown:

Check out www.parallels.com for the software that lets you run Win on a Intel Mac. $50 we sell it for.

personally i think its ugly, i Don’t like the look, and I’m not “hip” so i can’t use a mac…

personally i would never buy one

but in terms of quality they do tend to put better hardware in their machines… hence the 2 grand price tag…

at least the OS is very secure

also, you can do anything in windows that you can do on a mac. I also totally disagree with dmoffit on his stance that mac is a superior.

im not saying that either or are better

i know of multiple ppl who have had mac hardware go bad

and i also know multiple ppl who have had hardware issues with dell’s and such

its personal preference, and whatever you buy, just get a warranty so that you dont have to worry

Well I ordered the new Mac notebook and I will let you guys know how it goes.

congrats, i have an old IBM tuning laptop since I don’t want to carry around a 17" macbook pro in my car just to hyperterminal into the UTEC - every freaking time I turn it on there’s like 80+ windows updates, you won’t miss those any more than I do :wink:

I’ll be selling my new Macbook soon, if you’re interested. Price will be somewhere around $1000.

I bought my new Mac Notebook loaded for $1100

It wasn’t loaded then.

macs are cool as long as you get a mouse. Its really hard for me to use word w/o a right mouse click. I’ve been using pcs for years… I joined the other team last week

WHat’s the specs on yours? let’s compare.

do you have 2 gigs of ram?

Well… unless you got a screaming discount (which you could have)…

A “loaded” Macbook would mean that you either bought the highest model (the black one), or it means you bought one of the lower models and also purchased the additional upgrades, which are:

1. Additional RAM… either 1GB for $100, or 2GB for $500 to replace the 512.
  2. Improved hard drive… either 80GB ($50), 100GB ($150), or 120GB ($250) instead of the 60GB.
  3. Preinstalled iWorks… which runs $79.
  4. Apple care… which is an additional $249.

So if you did get it “loaded” and still got it for what just the base model costs… how in the HELL did you get that discount, cause I got screwed with just the educational discount, lol. :smiley:

That has no bearing on yours not being loaded. :blah:

What are the specs on your “loaded” macbook? 1.83ghz, 512mb of RAM, 80gb HD bought through the .edu discount? That comes to $1100. Or, a base configured 1.83ghz model without .edu discount. That’s also $1100. Plus another nearly $100 in tax. Shit isn’t adding up and I’m calling you on it.