Rear Gas Lines - Leaking

Ok, so…the fuel lines right beside the frame rail (passenger side) right at the back have a small rust slit. The Hardlines that is.

I’ve already been told flareing it and putting fuel hose on it will solve my problem. I’ve also been told that won’t solve my problem.

I clearly want to have the hardline completely replaced.

Question is…where can I get the hard line from? Nissan?
And how much will it be?

I’m having a temp fix done tomorrow by cutting it where its leaking…etc and putting the rubber hose on it. However…i’d like the entire line to be replaced, any suggestions or even someone who’d do it. I’ll most likely be calling Sasha in the morning.

Suggestions…and everything else would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

You can run a long rubber fuel line or you can bring it to my shop. lol

I believe http://www.courtesyparts.com will have the entire hard line.

Draggone, just pm’d you.
Read it!! lol

EDIT:

Found the diagram, but im not sure exactly what part number it would be…

http://www.courtesyparts.com/240sx-s13-1989-1994/genuine-nissan-parts/fuel-engine-control/173-fuel-piping/-c-1418_1419_1436_1442.html

rubber line works fine, regardless of what anyone says. i have done it a bunch of times. if it’s the pressure line just make sure you fuel injection hose.

Brendan,

So than the best hose for the job would be the same hose used from filter to engine correct?

yes…but it’s the same as all the other fuel hose used in the car… all you need is hose rated to deal with the pressure of fuel injection carbs use only like 7 psi where fuel injection is more like 47, these are by far not exact or specifc numbers but you get the point i’m making… it also needs to be rated for fuel /oil… fuel injection hose is easy to get no worries

Do you think it’ll hold up to the wear and tear from the road though? The hose in front of the firewall and inside the bay doesn’t seem like it could hold up to road usage.

Martino - I have recently replaced the WHOLE hard lines, send and return. Its not a fun job in the slightest. Hard line is cheap and available @ Partsource - I think its 1/4 or 5/16. Take a piece in.What I did was replace the hard link all the way till the rear end, then soft line up onto the sending unit. Its a bitch man, but the reality is, if your lines are rusting out in that spot, I can garuntee they will all need to replaced. My bet is when you try to temp fix it with hose, they will all crumble.

good luck!

Well a while back my power stearing went out in the same spot…however, the current gas lines, and everything else under there looked fine…

I think the reason this one rusted out was because it was damaged…possibly from going off the track at some point? Drifting it doesnt help and i know i’ve had that rear of my car off track…

Anyone know the order of the lines from left to right (passger to driver) of whats what.?

as long as the rubber hose isn’t hanging down and scraping on the road it works fine.

i used to know the order of the lines… i’ve forgotten though. it’s pretty easy to check, the 2 larger ones are hicas lines, there’s a T block that you can see above the rear subframe for the brake line, follow it down to see which one it is. then follow the line from the fuel filter back, that’s the pressure line. the one left that you haven’t traced is the return line.

and if it’s just a small leak from the plastic hard line mount where they bend up 45 degrees to go over the subframe, i can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be fine to just replace with a rubber line patch, that spot rusts out way before anywhere else, 99% of the time.

As Brendan said - 2 large hicas line, 2 medium gas lines, 1 small 3/16 brake line.

Where mine is leaking (seems like) is right where the jacking spot is on all s13’s. Where the circular nipple is, right beside the passenger side front most subframe bushing.

Thats also where my power steering line went out on me.

I would suggest soaking that fucker in rubberized undercoating once you are finished.

Yeah its also illegal and won’t pass safety… You are only allowed something like 24" of rubber line per steel fuel line… otherwise don’t you think car manufacturers would have done it in the first place. There is this new type of fuel line out that is made out of hard plastic that will pass safety most new cars come with it on. its a lot more expensive than steel line tho. You can either band aid it by cutting out the leak and putting a small piece of hose there then praying to god that another leak doesn’t start. or you can replace it front to back, but keep in mind that once you replace one line you are most likely going to have to replace the other and the brake lines because they all may start leaking when disturbed or bent even a little. so i would get a couple of rolls, one of 5/16 (feed line) one 1/4 (return line some time its the same as feed just take in samples) one 3/16 , a flare tool some new fittings, bite the bullet and just do it. Its the only way to completely solve the problem and not have to worry about it again.

I’m not going to lie, its probably the most dirty bastard ass job that you will ever have to do to your car. I hate doing them, and a shop will charge you close to 1000 to do it. I doubt that you will find anyone willing to do it for you, i have been a mechanic for a while and I still have not met one person that enjoys doing lines.

Well I’ve had two 240s pass a safety with a rubber patch. One of which was probably closer to 36" long and was clearly zip tied up in place, I’m sure the mechanic noticed it… the other was about 12" long and much more well done.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying.

And yes, doing lines is pretty much the worst thing ever. I cringe when someone asks me to fix any sort of line on their car…

Well, I semi- have it fixed with an 8" long hose…now its leaking in another spot lol.

And one of my hicas lines are going…(i can see rust bubbles)
However, im getting rid of hicas in a couple weeks, so i dont really care much for that.

I’m probably going to order both gas lines and the brake line, and do them all at once.

yeah also in the case of a 240 both feed and return are the same size so 2 5/16 rolls plus a roll of brake line. you will benifit greatly to do this on a hoist martino if your gonna be makign them your self…

and yeah your really aren’t suppose to have any large patches to pass safety but most mechanics are willing to let it slide…

Yea, fuck doing it in my garage lol
I’m gonna do it when i drop the subframe,

What size is the brake line Ted?

Everything at once.

Oh, didn’t know you were going to be dropping the subframe.

Yeah, disregard what I said, the subframe is a lot of the reason it’s a massive pain in the ass to do. If it’s out anyway, do all the lines.