Rear Speakers..... the hell??? (edit: speakers too quiet?)

I did my fronts already, and when I moved on to the rears, I found them to be physically inaccessible! I couldn’t get a screwdriver in no matter what I tried. I even ended up breaking a small piece on the gray interior panel around the speaker out of rage and carelessness. Someone plz plz plz post how to replace the rears, I’m so angry I want to cry.

When I installed the speakers, I used a short screwdriver for the front screws and a 1/4 drive ratchet with a Phillips head to remove the rear screws (closest to windows). I didn’t even bother to install the rear screws when I put speakers back in.

Use a Skewdriver.

http://www.arizonatools.com/img/products/S/SKESP-1001_TN.JPG

Skew you. :stuck_out_tongue:

i used a 1.5" long philips screwdriver took me 2 min to get the back bolts out.

go to canadain tire they sell them there for like 2 bucks

Nice! I’ll try it tommorow with a ratchet, if not I’m off to CT (I’d rather keep my $2 if I can :D)

Well, install is done! My parents were goin to CT and picked up a small philips, but just as my luck goes, it was too big by maybe half a centimeter. Fortunately I had a ratchet and took care of it that way.
Now I have another problem though… Not necessarily a problem actually, more of a question.
Is the stock deck/amp too little to power the components? Because the rear speakers play well (Infinity Kappa 4x6’s), but the components up front are soooo quiet. I can hear them, they’re definitely playing, but they get drowned out by the rears.

Do you have a premium sound system in your car?

Hmmm… I guess not, b/c someone that did said they have CD in their car. Mine only has radio/cassette, and it’s the Active Speaker type… Not sure if that counts as premium though. The speakers were wired according to Gonad’s instructions, I just used the pos and neg terminals and took out the entire plastic assembly that has the factory weird electronics and speakers.

you have to kill the rear amplifier too… that’s your problem

How do I kill the rear amplifier? And if I do, will all of my speakers be quiet as hell?

if u don’t hve an aftermarket deck your speakes will be veruy quiet, other wise you jsut turn the volume up alot more… and to kill hte amp you have to get to it… on a coupe its easy u see it when u open the trunk… a htch you need to remove the rear carpeted pannels to reach the amp and u need to jumper alot of pins on that plug … i can supply a diagram when i’m not lazy option 2… run new wires from the deck to you back speakers

Hmmmm… I’ll just leave it for now and run new wires when I get a new deck. Thx a lot thou!

okay, sorry about the thread-jacking but can someone please describe in a bit more detail how to get the rear speaker covers off. I’ve tried being patient, next step is not pretty. Thanks in advance.

Sure! I did it by shoving a butter knife in there and pushing down on it to lever it off. It’s not screwed in, it’s just these little… man, I don’t know what to call them, but it snaps off. The tricky part is unscrewing the speakers later on. You need either a dinky screwdriver or a ratchet.

They do just pop off eh. I was trying to get them off by hand, I guess using something to pry them off would work :roll: Good to know that there aren’t any screws holding them down, I felt like I was going to break something (I actually did- the c clamp that holds the privacy cover in place :evil: da well).

I broke stuff too :smiley: But that was when I was tryin to get the rears off without a proper tool.