Rebuilding Coilovers

Are there any shops that can rebuild coilovers around the area.

Not trying to be a dick but how are coilovers rebuilt?

Most places require you to disassemble the coilovers and send in the damper only, not sure of the process of a rebuild but I have heard of gas recharging. Not sure if thats what he means???

However I dont know of any local places that do it.

Bilstein rebuilds theirs in-house. You have to ship them to Cali though, and the service isn’t super expensive, but it’s far cheaper than replacement.

its a process, and for someone that knows what there doing… im sure yourtube has video how its done

yeah its going to be disassembled… not so much gas recharging. alot of the times the inner assemble goes bad like the seals or the whole piston… its one of those things i wont know til its in a shop. i think im going to send it to California. since i know a few places, if i don’t find one around here…

For the most part, you’ll want to start with what kind of coilovers they are. There’s lots of places along the east coast that specialize in suspension servicing/rebuilding/etc, but many of them are a little more brand-specific.

Bilstein does there own stuff in CA, Koni does their own in in KY (I believe), etc. etc. etc. but then there are also other companies who are authorized servicers, like TrueChoice for Koni. You can probably do some searching for (insert coilover brand here) and rebuild/service/etc.

Question…how often do they need to be rebuilt? Is it normal maintenance? This scares me…as I was thinking of getting coilovers for my car probably this summer. If I need to rebuild them every 2 years, I can’t afford the downtime. I’ll just go with springs in that case.

Most street cars rarely need to get them rebuilt that frequently, especially since they won’t be seeing any hard use (and please don’t consider spirited driving through the “twisties” as hard use).

You’d be fine as long as you go with a QUALITY manufacture. Bilsteins are great for street cars, and the PSS10s I have in my 911 ride better and smoother than the factory suspension that only has 36k on it.

yeah ive done my research this will be the first time i would need something rebuilt that i cant do myself… they are J’s racing CRUX suspension. i mite be able to get away with a company in the states but i would have to really search or send one back to japan… it would still be cheaper then buying a complete set… 3-4k$ suspension…

if you spend money on a good set of coilovers. you will be fine… its the cheap junk you have to worry about… 500$ for a full coilover set steer clear from that…