Reccomended tranny oil, and oil change procedures.

Hey guys, I have a tired 260kkm ka tranny on my car, and I am going to change the oil in it, it is a manual transmission. What do you guys use and what do you think is best for my tranny ? Its syncros are lightly grinding and I have difficulty getting into 1st and R. I would like something synthetic thats track-friendly.

I am planning to drain it through the square bolt on the bottom. How do I pour it in through the shifter, is it good enough if I just undo the rubber boot under the plastic panels inside, and pour in there without pulling out the shifter ? and how much do you pour in the for ka24e 89/90 tranny.

LMK. Appreciated in advance. 8)

there is a drain bolt on the bottom and a fill bolt on the side go to CT and buy the pump for like $15 and use that to fill it and when it starts dripping out then its at the right level

people said its hard to acess that

bottom bolt

loosen that bitch let her drain, make sure you get all the fluid out

clean off the magnetic plug and put it back in

3L of tranny fluid through the shifter

I like having a bit more fluid in the system it keeps it from overheating too fast, it may kill a few ponies at worst but who cares its worth it for the added protection, and i’ve never had a problem with seals or anything like that.

awsome, thanks, i dont wanna be buying some pumps and having pain in the ass pouring it in through the side, but again, do i need to take out the shifter itself ? or just pour it around it under the rubber boot in the car… and 3L for a KA tranny ?

When I did mine I just undid the plug let it drain like sasha said and cleaned the plug off. FSM says to use about 2.5 L so what I did was put 2.1L of tranny fluid in and about 400ml of auto tranny fluid (dont start to talk about somthing you have never heard about before) the auto fluid is thinner then the manual stuff and will get into the synchros alot better. I have found the shifts smoother and have never had a problem. I have talked to a few others my dad knows from the car industry and they all said that a little will help shifting but you have to watch how much your putting it.

did you take out the shifter to pour it in ?

yes = less mess

As for fluid recommendations…
Redline Heavyweight (or Lightweight) Shockproof for transmission.

taking out the shifter is an easy job. takes like few minutes. no biggy

better than buying a pump

make sure u have a funnel tho! or else u might create a mess.

:wink:

taking out the shifter is an easy job. takes like few minutes. no biggy

better than buying a pump

make sure u have a funnel tho! or else u might create a mess.

:wink:[/quote]

just the rubber boot or the whole shift stick ?

you do not need t otake the shifter out UNLESS you have B&M style shifter

i used redline fluid with a bottle of Lucas tranny treatment. my gears grinded slightly before then, but now are like butter. i use lucas for all my trannies, works wonders, and the engine treatment will really quiet down noisey lifters (with synthetic oil of course)!

i’d pull the whole shifter assembly out, really easy and makes things easier (but u sound kinda lazy so u can jsut fill it until u see fluid when looking in from the top).

oh, forgot to mention that i like to run about 0.5L of tranny fluid from the top while the old fluid is draining, just to make sure i got everything out. and u can use cheap tranyn fluid to do this, if u like, but u can skip this step of course

make sure its a gl4 fluid. I’ve only found it in synthetic (at about $15/liter), but I know people on SON can hook you up for less

I used redline MT-90, and it improved the shift qualities greatly

more about gl4/gl5:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=68028319&Forum=CatSearch-3&Words=gl4&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=68027734&Search=true#Post68028319

thank you, thats what i was looking for

im planning to go with redline 75W90, and since my synros are sketchy, should I put lucas in there ? 3L of tranny oil and than how much lucas ?

also I dont understand the GL4-GL5 thing ? if anyone could explain this to me I’d appreciate it :lol:

Read the link in my other post… basically GL4 = what you are supposed to put in, GL5 = wrong friction modifiers = Accelerated synchro wear = trashed tranny over time

thanks