Recommend me a bike.

Saw one parked on Virginia last night. Looked amazing.

:tup:

+1

I started with a Ducati Monster 750 and I have been very happy thusfar. I like the look, the riding position, and the fact that it doesn’t have too much hp to tempt me.

my (former) boss has an 1198S that he keeps driving to work, talk about sexy.

I would really consider the streetfighter though. I kept saying I wanted a monster with a 1098 power plant :mamoru:

Awesome idea, but that would scare me to ride. I like my low powered Duc. :mamoru:

Oh wholy impratical. Just cool. Kind of like a 700HP fwd street car.

I was talking to a racer down here that has been a top HWT national WERA HWT racer for years. When I was looking at 1098s he had just gotten one to race. He took it to Road Atlanta for his first day and was literally scared by the thing, and running considerbly slower times. The slight kink becomes a turn at full lean at 180MPH or something ridiculous. Crazy bikes.

huffy?

IMO, Anyone can ride any bike its all self control. If you feel you have none, try starting out with a more forgiving bike (EX250, GS500, SV600). I think a good solution would be starting out on an older 600 like 2001+ where it can still looks good and performs just as well. Good luck finding a good bike :tup:

x2

Start with something comfortable to you. Most sportbikes are really comparable. With most people I would suggest getting something older just in case they drop it, but you are very mindful of your belongings so getting something that you won’t be bored with in a few weeks or 1 season might be a better idea.

Check this out, might help make your decision.

some important questions…

what do you plan on doing with it?
commuting? drag racing? road racing? track days? weekend blasts out to the twisties?

Do you want exotic? reliable? cheap? something to see if you like it? etc etc…

Modern 600s make more power than liter bikes that are only 5-10 years old. Saying “start in a 600 you’ll be fine” doesn’t really mean anything. I don’t need to recap the entire thread that I linked but a modern sport bike will get a new rider in trouble quicker than they can react, regardless of how “careful” you are. A 600 by nature is very twitchy (in handling, braking and power delivery) all of which can get you in a heap of trouble.

Not to mention, shit happens. Why worry about buying a pretty bike when you’ve had no seat time?

Sure, there are plenty of people that have started off one turbo busas in the past, but I guarantee all of them would have become a better and faster rider quicker had they started on something more appropriate and learned to ride. Its the same reason guys on SVs roll past guys on “better looking” bikes all day long on the track, in all of the rider groups.

If you just want it to look cool, then get what you want. Just don’t pretend that isn’t what you are doing because you are afraid of “growing out of it” or “not being enough bike”.

I sold each of my early bikes for more than I paid for them, after putting on plenty of miles, AND laying them down (or tipping them over as the case may have been).

Josh has plenty of toys, I’d be surprised if he was buying a bike just for its ability to go fast in a straight line.

Just my $.02.

I fall into the “I bought a 600 for my first bike and was fine” group, but only reason why I’m STILL fine is because of the MSF course, a few close calls and riding with a group of experienced riders. There are a combination of factors that attribute to the fact that some people may be okay on a 600, and others are just asking for trouble.

Why was this directed towards me? I know plenty of people who bought brand new bikes and dropped them and regret buying a new bike for their first bike. I never said to buy a brand new bike, I just said to start out on an older 600 because odds are you will drop it at some point. Its all seat time, the more you ride the more comfortable you will be on the bike.

The part was directed at you was that an '01 SS 600 is not an appropriate starter bike IMO. It makes plenty of power to get someone in trouble and quite a bit more power than older 750 and liter class bikes.

Oh okay, yeah you have a point, but you can get in trouble on any bike, it’s just some bikes are easier than others.

I probably should just get a permit/license and get out on bikes for a while to get a feel for what i’m comfortable with.

:repost: hahaha

we should just post up for you so you dont have to! before i even opened this thread i thought “how long till will suggests a 636”

prolly the best solution yet. lol but i agree alot with walter, some good advice in there.

+1 do it.

Boss Hoss.

You’ll be more of a man at the end of the day :slight_smile:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2043/2079121875_296581a624.jpg

^such a great movie.