First bike... R6 vs CBR 600?

I’ve never been on a bike, looking to get a used one though. I looove Hondas so I figure the CBR is the way to go, but I see that the R6 is very popular too. Bike guys, what do you think?

IMO the CBR is a much more comfortable bike. I like it. Honda FTW

Both terrible choices for your first ever bike…

What should I get then? I’d like something faster than my car :lol: Someone suggested a 250cc bike, but I’d get tired of it in 2 weeks.

Your first bike can be whatever…i learned to ride on a ducatti monster 1000…

My first bike in the states was a 2000 R6 and i loved it.

I have heard that the R6 is comparable to alot of 750s, not sure how true this is. I hear its a very advanced 600.

ninja 500

i agree. just don’t be an asshole about it.

I learned on my dad’s 5 billion lb harley with him on the back!

I started on a 600 Katana. It really depends on the rider. If you can respect the bike without being a fucking idiot, than a 600 will be a good starting point.

As for the r6 and cbr, they are both good bikes. I’m biased to the cbr so I’d go with that personally, but either way, how new are these bikes? It might matter less than you realize. I’d suggest going with whatever is the better deal, and just sell it next season so you can upgrade accordingly.

My 17 yr old cousin started on a gixxer 1000. Its all about self control

My first bike was an 04 r6 with about 10 hours total of riding time on a 90cc dirtbike ever before the r6. I’ve been fine, no wrecks, no falls. Just respect the bike and don’t be stupid and you’ll be fine.

For your first bike I suggest getting something you wont mind dropping. There is a SIGNIFICANT chance you’ll at least drop it at a corner or stoplight. All the plastic on both those bikes can get expensive to replace.

I would look to an older gs500 or something. Almost any bike will be faster than your car and whatever you get take everyone’s advice and respect respect respect your situation and surroundings. Good luck be safe and welcome to the club

take the MSF and ride respectfully you will be fine. My first bike is the one i own and i have had zero problems so far. MSF helped me build up alot of confidence and i learned alot. good luck :tup:

X a fucking 1000 (no pun intended)

Anywho, theres a gap in years where I’d take the CBR over the R6. See what’s out there, check up on reviews. The new R6’s are A+, previous years CBR I’d love to have. You’re always gonna find a biased opinion based on what people already own. Find out what’s important to you (Style, comfort,handling,etc). After getting the R1, I wish I got something a little more suited for long rides, I pack on quite a few miles, and going to the 1000 islands was a nightmare on my back, BUT, it’s fantastic in any other area.

Good luck!

I never saw a point to having a 1000cc bike anyway. You’re never going to push it to its limits.

bragging rights, orrrrr its male compensation.
Learn on an old cruiser.

I’m going to take the MSF class later this month. I wouldn’t be surprised if I drop the motorcycle, so that’s why I’d like to go used ('05-'07).

I am a very defensive driver, I’m the guy that puts his seatbelt on and uses blinkers when driving in a parking lot. I realize that everyone on the road is out to kill me :slight_smile:

On a side note, other than Ebay and Craigslist, where would be good to pick a bike up from? I saw cycletrader.com

wrong

i say CBR600RR, just dont get cut off in traffic :wink: hahaha…fuck lol.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19946