Recommend me some 6.5's

I have (supposidly) a bad voice coil in the front passenger speaker so I am going to replace all 4 since they are all 6.5’s. I want to spend between $50 to $100 per pair. I haven’t bought car audio in a while so I have no idea who’s brands are good nowadays. I’d appreciate your opinions… Thanks.

I personally like Polk stuff…and CircuitCity has the deal going on for buy one, get on half off, so you can score 2 sets of 6.5"s for $150

I have a few sets of them in my car and I think the sound quality is good, and price is just right

is this in the wagon? Just be careful to check the clearance for the magnet. I tried putting aftermarket front speakers in my wrx. but the magnets wouldnt clear the window glass when rolled down. just a FYI. Factory stuff in subies is clarion, but i found some cheap pioneer “factory replacement” speakers on a clearance rack and they sound Decent in my L.

I will have to take a look on the Outback forums about that. Go tip, Nick, thanks.

the Polk’s that CC has(that I currently use) have these mounting depth specs:

Top Mount 1-5/8" (4.13cm) * with adapter ring
Bottom Mount 2-5/16" (5.87cm)

Are you looking for components in front or?

Nah, 2 or 3 way 6.5". This car isn’t worth putting a baller system into, I just want your standard aftermarket speaker.

if you ever wanted to hear the Polk’s, you’re welcome to stop by my place(depew) and have a listen

i put some alpine type-s’ in my car. they do the job. I like them they sounds pretty good. I only did the front, I plan to do the rears with the same very soon

Not to hijack this thread or anything but I am also looking for some 6.5" dual voice-coil (4 ohms/coil) subs for the rear pillars in my trans am.

The stock monsoon “system” is the biggest piece of shit I have ever heard.

I usually go to crutchfield and find which speakers fit my car and then go to ikesound.com and buy them at wholesale price. The only aftermarkets Ive heard were polks, pioneer 3-ways and infinity kappa 3-ways. A friend had polks in front and pioneers in the rear - after I heard that system - I knew that I always wanted to keep the same manufacturer throughout. The pioneers seemed to always have really loud highs that made them seem unbalanced - despite constant eq adjustment. My favorite were the kappas - they may be out of your price range - but those are awesome balanced speakers. Mind you I myself have been out of the game and this info is from 3 or so years ago.

spend more or don’t bother.

:roll2:

I have a blown voice coil so why would I not want to replace them?

This is a problem in the Legacy/outbacks too. I put some crappy JVC 3 ways in because the factory speakers were blowin. I don’t remember the depth but I can get the measurements of the box when I get home from work.

I went on Crutchfield.com and there were a few that did fit so I guess I will keep it to that rather than jimmy-riggin’ something to work.

I would imagine the 6.5 phoenix rsd coaxial’s would work well seeing that everyone loves the component versions. Also lots of people seem to use alpine type s speakers which are under $100 and I’ve also listened to the boston sx65’s which sounded great.

There are plenty of people out there that like their phoenix rsd components better than the focal, cdt, mb quart, diamond, jl, hertz etc they had previously and they are under $100 a set versus $200+

I’d also rather have a semi-decent coaxial than a blown speaker.

Talk to this guy, he specializes in fbody audio.

He’s a sponsor on ls1tech, he’ll be able to make you a good recommendation based upon whether you have a trans am which has 4 ohm dvc 6.5 subs or a Camaro that uses the 2 ohm dvc 6.5 subs.

when I say don’t bother, I mean don’t upgrade… I’m sure you can find a used OEM part from a dude who upgraded for almost free. unless you find a good used deal, pretty much everything under $100 sucks to the point that you might as well stay stock.

then again, as I always say (and nobody listens). spend twice as much up front and don’t bother with rear speakers… you’re only listening to 2 channel audio.

I would take most aftermarket speakers from brand names manufacturers over the OEM.

I’m not going to argue this to death… but OEM sucks, $100 components suck… so when spend more for something that still sucks.

you always argue but not everyone has the audio anal illness that you have. not everyone cares to have fancy expensive crap.

Brian