Speaker Selection Help / Power available

I am looking for some help from someone that has a good amount of knowledge in automotive stereos.

I am looking at swapping out the OEM blown speakers in my 2000 s2k with something a bit better But Not Amped.

-PIONEER deh-3300ub Head unit
-Only 2 speakers going in the car
-No spots for Tweeters unless I change door panels. (not looking to spend the money on that)
-Looking for what can be the best speakers to go with.

The two sets I’m looking at:
-Polk Audio db651 (6.5 round Coax) = about $70
RMS: 120 watts per pair / 60 watts each
or
-Polk Audio mm651 (6.5 round Coax w/ Cross over kit for Clarity) = about $120
RMS: 200 watts per pair / 100 watts each

I will not be running an amp like stated above, due to a pain in the ass wiring that will need to be done… Unless someone has wired an s2k properly and clean to which I’ll consider it.

I have personal experience with both speakers and found that the MM series is much more clear at higher volumes.

Problem I have is, will it be worth the money to get the MM series if I am not amping them/will they be under powered?

Being that I’m only running 2 speakers… can you cross over from front/rear driver side and front/rear passenger side on the wiring to get more power from the head unit.

If you know of any speakers that compare to these sound wise, let me know. I am looking same price range and ones that will be the most clear along with the most bass, since I’m not installing a sub.

Thank you

its funny…i know nothing about car audio, i think its so dorky when people talk about systems and car audio and whatnot but GDamn i love when im in a car and its set up right just crisp and clear wooo

Bridging the speakers from the Headunit is something you’ll have to check in the owners manual/install manual for; some HUs can support this, some can’t.

I would say either set is going to be ok for what you want, but I would also suggest finding a small amp to power them with; they will sound and perform better with an amp obviously.

what is the sensitivity of both sets of speakers? db 1W/1m? The higher the number the “louder” they will be at lower power levels. (in basic terms).

I miss my Mazda 6s. I had the entire car done right… Not over done on bass, and 97FormulaWS would tell you. The car was setup perfect.

Right now I have blown speakers in a car with only 2 speakers. I love my music, I love clarity, and I love it normally louder. Being in a convertable does not help.

I didnt see db read out on these speakers when I did a quick search. I’ll probably just call to get all the specs on the speakers.

I’d love to run my Concept 2 channel 100watt amp if I could… wiring to the truck will really be a bitch in this car.

the MM651 are a 94 db 1W/1m
the dB651 are a 92 db 1W/1m

the MM’s are probably a better choice.

And wiring can be a pain, but it’s not that hard in the real realm of things, just time consuming to do it right.

Thinking about the amp situation… I dont think this HU allows for Amping/component wires to be used. Not sure if any other way to do it. I’d get a new head unit if so I’m pretty sure. But then again, show me where to wire this into the trunk without cutting anything.

Yea, that headunit sucks.

as for the amp… simple google search:

http://www.s2000.org/mods/amp/

why dont you try to put a thin amp under the passenger’s seat or behind it?

Thank you, and Yes I know the HU is not the best. It allows me to use an Ipod or AUX. I’m cool with that for only being $65. How do you go wrong with that when you arent really planning to amp the setup.

I find that Under the seats turns into a little storage area for me. I’d like to keep that if I need it. lol

Not exactly technical advice, but I have a nice Alpine head unit that I never installed if you’re interested. I bought it and never got around to installing it, then traded the car in for something else. It has an ipod input, and bluetooth for your phone. I also have the Alpine power pack. It’s a mini-amp that plugs right in to the receiver, you don’t have to run separate power or speaker lines.

I have speakers too, 6.5" Boston Acoustics SC65, not sure if they will fit. If you are interested let me know. Here are some links if you want to check them out.

Alpine receiver

Speakers

Power Pack

The HU I have right now, hasnt been installed yet. I can’t get money back because its been over 30 days. so, yeah. haha

Cant hurt to ask, but how much are you selling the Alpine setup for? (HU and Powerpack)

How about $250 for both? They are both brand new and haven’t been used.

If it wasn’t a verti would say you’d be fine w/o an amp…but since it is you will regreet not putting something in there that will still sound good when the tops down
I’m sure any stereo shop would be able to install an amp in the trunk

p.o put tweeters into my door panels and they actually look super good. just a thought.

Pull seat, center console, lift carpet, drill 1 " hole into trunk (add grommet), route wires, mount amp, then re-install…what’s wrong with that? Plus it will be super clean AND you will get the best sound quality.

This install will be WAY easier/faster than your 6 that Mike and I did. That was just “time consuming” because we wired all 4 doors.

Plus, with the top down you almost NEED amped speakers to hear anything over 30 MPH.

Yeah, I really would like to amp it.

Do you have a photo of what this looks like. I really wanted to do this but did not want to cause damage/alter to much of the car

I didn’t want to cut/drill into anything on this car. I’m keeping it cleaner than that. But I see how I can do it without drilling. I’ll be going back to bestbuy to see if they will take back the stereo, since I have yet to use it and buy a better one that can allow for an amp.

Can someone let me know… I’m looking at the DEH-6300UB by Pioneer. I’m reading the manual online to see if this can have components hooked up to run an amp for speakers and not subs. I’m finding “Front Output” is that meaning it can amp only a 2 channel for speakers? I have Bestbuy able to do a store credit and I want to pick one up today.

here is the link. page 12 of 60

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-6300UB_OwnersManual0920.pdf

The only other one that I saw that was in my budget right this minute was the Alpine CDE-122… Not sure if that has the outputs for speakers either.

Alpine only has a single set of pre-outs; most likely subwoofer/rear output like the last HU that you had.

The new Pioneer has both Front and Rear/Sub outputs; so this should work for you.

Thank you!

I’m going to be ordering speakers. Which would you go with?

6.5 rounds.

Infinity, Alpine, Polk, Kicker… or suggestion something. Looking to spend really no more that $120 for the pair. Remind you, I dont have a tweeter spot, so coax would be the only thing.