Good sound, questions.

THis isn’t really a technical question, hence why it’s not the the tech section.

I have a 08 wrx, and as we all know the stereo leaves something to be desired.

I listen to a bunch of different music. A lot of rap and a lot of punk.
I just want some LOUD/CLEAR sounding speakers.
Something that I can crank up and not have to worry about blowing the speakers or having the sound be distorted.
I’m not really that smart with electronics (wirering) I’m only looking to spend a few hundred. I don’t care about the head unit having a good cd player as I only use my ipod.
Let me know some good options or what I should look for.

probably anything you can buy (with the exception of walmart brand “street warrior” or whatever it’s called brand) is better than stock.

Go with jensen, infinity, etc that exceed the stock head unit’s/speaker’s specifications and you shouldn’t have to worry about popping them… they’ll more than likely sound a lot better too.

I’m not much of a high end audio guy though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Components & an amp would be your best bet.
Self powered sub as well to keep costs down.

I have an Infinity Basslink in my M3, and provides enough bass for me. Paired with some Polk components front and rear powered by an Alpine amp and Alpine head unit. Sounds great.

NO sub for me. I value my trunk space :sario:

I’m just looking for OEM placed speakers.
Basically I want good sound, but I want them to be able to be hidden behind the oem speaker covers.

Components and amp, and if your worried about trunk space just get a bass tube or something…

polk or infinity speakers w/ an amp…~150 per set of speakers (so 300) a decent amp is gonna be about 200…so for 500 you got an alright setup

if you wanna be a real baller, get MB Quart speakers…again, with an amp…~250-300 per set (so 500-600) plus a really good amp to power them, about 300-400 (so 800-1000) for a baller ass setup

you could try to just replace the head unit with an aftermarket one that usually gives the stock speakers some more juice but knowing subaru speakers blow ass and will probably distort the hell out of them…

buy a headunit, some baller components (infinity, polk or mb quart) and a solid 4-channel amp…

another thing. My uncle owns a car audio store…should I have them do the install or could I do it my self with minimal knowlege?

Car audio is not very difficult. However, if your uncle owns it, you are family and usually family doesn’t pay labor… if your close lol.

JBL components for the front, JBL coaxial for the back, JBL 4-channel amp, Alpine head unit, Infinity Basslink for the bass (its probably 12" x 12" x 4" not very big at all)

I have a Basslink, if you want to see my trunk stop by sometime. It takes up hardly any room.

saying you want good sound which is loud and clear is a lot like saying you want fast car with horsepower and torque. but I’ll bite based on your needs.

you have to understand that all speakers distort either because you don’t have enough amp, or you turned the volume up too much… it’s not like you pick a brand that won’t have this problem. it’s why people spend a lot of money on good amps / speakers.

based on your taste in music that you listed I think that you’ll like some JL component speakers… a pioneer or eclipse head unit maybe an alpine (even though I personally hate them)… and throw a decent 2 or 4 channel amp in there

i loved my polk momo’s and components when i had them

iv got so much invested into my sound system right now, it makes me sick. here is what im running.

Sony Xplod head unit
4 Alpine type r components, Alpine tweeters hooked up through crossovers.
300 watt rockford fosgate amp powering a kicker vr comp 10" sub, it gets the job done.
my full trunk is dynomatted
i also have sirius wired through my aux input, ipod cable runs from the back to the glovebox.

its a little overkill, but the sound is awesome, iv never had a better setup.

tweeters hooked up through the crossovers… that’s some serious shit.

im detecting your sarcasm, so maybe you read it again and see that iv got components and tweeters hooked up through them, just added another 200 watt amp to my components, sounds even better.

you might be better off sticking to telling us all how bikers are trashy, :tup:

what the hell are you talking about… you have components (I don’t know if you mean 2 way or 3 way). and the you have an additional tweeter hooked up through them (wtf does that mean) and on top of that you’re running two different amps to your front component + extra tweeter mess. are you bi / tri powering your components and using a digital processor?

I’m sorry, I thought the post title said GOOD sound?? :squint:

:rofl:

OP: I’ll bet a paycheck that dialing in good imaging w/proper staging is way beyond you.

Take the shit to a shop.

no i have alpine speakers and seperate tweeters. just hooked the new amp up to the components as they were running off of my stereo. my other amp is running to my sub. the crossovers are needed to not blow my tweeters.

because the head unit really makes that much of a difference for sound?