Region code, wrong?????

So, I bought a Top gear box set outta Australia for dirt cheap.

Now, when I went to watch them. My blu-ray spit the disc out. My 360 just said unable to read disc due to wrong region code.

What the fuck does this mean? How do I fix it. Are these discs no good to me at all?

I have no idea about T.V’s and dvd players and their “codes” or whatever. I just wanna watch my damn DVD’s.

What gives?

dvd’d are encoded to a specific world region

1 2 3 4 5 or whatever

most dvd players only read the region for which they were encoded (eg north america, whatever number that is i forget right now)

you’d need to play em in your DVD ROM (on your pc), which are not region specific

or youll have to buy a cheap region-free DVD player (30-50 bucks)

philips DVD players are all region free

yea, the cheap as shit ones at walmart are region free.

ah okay. I thought of trying that. But didn’t.

Why the fuck would the cheap ones not be region specific and the expensives ones are? Makes no sense!
Why the hell is there region codes any ways?!?!?

Well, I will try it on my $25 wal mart dvd player tonight.

Thanks guys!

BTW, the dvd’s I have are region 4 & 5. I believe North America is 1 & 2. Just from trying to figure it out last night I learned that.

Your pc is also region coded. It will prompt you to change the region when you insert a region specif dvd. Be careful because you can only switch the region on your PC 2 or 3 times.

X box 360 cant play blu rays wtf…

He didnt say his 360 is blu ray. He said his blu ray player AND his 360 would not play the DVD’s.

Woops I was thinking he said he was putting blu rays into his x box 360 but i guess top gear is’nt in blu ray…

North America is region 1 only. I think Europe is region 2, Asia might be 5? Either way, pain in the balls for watching good shit from abroad.

Tried the shitty DVD player last night.

No dice.

I got a hold of someone who said they can “fix” it for me. Copy the discs then re-write them with different encoding? I have no idea, what the hell…that means…

She’s gonna do it for free. We’ll see.

Is there any other way guys?

Maybe your Wal-Mart dvd player isn’t as “shitty” as you think.
I worked with a guy from China who said they don’t care about any encoding standards over there, and that Chinese dvd players play whatever.
He also hated China, so it could have been a stereotype…lol

LoL!

Okay, so basically. The only true solution that will/does work is to get a very cheap “chinese” dvd player?

If I have to. Ok.

Haha…or just download the episodes.

man i have bought and watched discs from the uk on my phillips dvd player
the advertise to be able to play anything.
giver a look see

When you rip the discs to you computer, you can remove the region coding entirely. Then when you burn them again, you have dvds that can play in any player anywhere.