Register your trailer in Maine

Check with your insurance company. Mine wouldn’t insure one outside the state I’m based in. Idiots.

Yea they are cracking down big time on out of state plates. The offroad forum just had a big thing on this just do it in NY not worth the hassle when you get caught.

Got mine back in november or so on craigslist. Took a while to find a decent one.

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Thanks for the heads up! I guess thats the route ill go haha.

Too obvious. Should have titled it “Went to Maine for a bag of bullets.”

I guess I didnt search well enough… considering the OP was over 5 years ago and the last post was 2 1/2 years ago. I guess its wasnt a bad thing to ask about. Like mindless posted about the cracking down of out of state plates made the new thread worth it.

It was a big topic on a snowmobile forum I follow when someone posted this…

This is an excerpt from the NYSSA Online Magazine article written by Steve Lewis of NYS Parks on Trailer Registrations:

There has been some chatter on the snowmobile websites concerning Maine Trailer Registration by NY residents. Section 250 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law provides the answer and here is how the State Police enforce Section 250. If there is a straight NY commercial registration on the truck, the owner is a NY resident, and they do not have a residence in Maine, it is an illegal registration in NY per Section 250 of the V&T Law. The NYS Motor Truck Association has advised their members that “NY State law prohibits the registration of trailers in another state other than NY unless the carrier has a physical place of business, at which the vehicles are housed, within the state of registration. A mailing address or agent in the state of Maine does not meet this requirement.” So if you have a trailer registered in Maine and are not a resident of Maine… beware.

I debated it but since my snowmobile trailer is so light with a low capacity the reg is only $20 something a year and just didn’t seem worth the potential hassle. My boat trailer is a bit more but I let that reg expire over the winter every year and end up paying a pro-rated amount each spring since I’m not registering it for a full year.

Looks like NYS “wins” again. Thanks for all the info everyone!

so now you have to have a BUSINESS in order to register a trailer? so even if you had a residence in maine and a nys license this would still be illegal? give me a break. im buying a trailer, registering it in maine and going to buy 2 tons worth of 2 liters, pass thru NYC and move somewhere else. suck it nys

^^^that sounds like it applies to commercial trucking businesses or vehicles registered with commercial plates that are the tow vehicle.

What is the exact meaning of this? If there is a straight NY commercial registration on the truck

If I have a car or non commerical plates this does not apply? and is that vehicles with commercial labled plates or does this mean dot numbered vehicles only?

Who knows. You could probably argue that with the trooper about to write you a ticket, or the judge when he writes it anyway.

I can say if you’ve got a car with non-commerical plates (like my GTO that I tow the snowmobile trailer with when the wife needs the SUV) there’s a good chance you’re not even 100% legal to tow. Your mirrors have to be wide enough to see around the trailer, and while I’ve never seen someone ticketed for that my feeling is when you start arguing semantics of NYS trailer registration the cop is probably going to write up any tickets he can just to be a dick.

Bottom line, didn’t feel it was worth it for me. My time is worth too much to be fighting tickets in court to save some registration money.

I wouls assume they are focused on more than individuals with this. I completely agree with what you stated Jays.

what’s a decent used car trailer going for these days?

I COULDN’T register my trailer in NYS because I couldn’t get a title for it (stolen). No matter how hard I tried, NYS would not title the trailer. Maine needed the VIN and proof of sale. Now I have a Maine title and registration, maybe when that expires I’ll get a NYS registration…

for some reason i didn’t see that part while reading through. that’s still kinda b.s though. previously we had all vehicles/trailers registered with the business for liability sake/cost/writeoff. would be dumb to get ticketed for this. they close this loophole but leave the more serious ones open that benefit others at a much higher amount. sweet lol

truck is now personal and trailer now is registered personal but DOT will still hassle you/fine you if they pull you over and they will pull you over. technically we still have to keep dot tags on the side of the truck for the business i guess

as jays stated , it’s not worth it

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

did you just say you stole your trailer and were mad because they wouldn’t title it for you lol? IIRC you can have a trailer “built” and title given that way. didn’t have a title for our camper trailer but needed one to sell so just had this done.

Brandon? lol.

I told them the trailer title was stolen (in a safe that was taken from the house) and they had no record of the taxes being paid after purchase, so I had to pay them again and there was an “issue” according to them with the VIN not matching their records. I went back and forth with them for a while til I gave up and registered it in Maine. Took about 5 minutes on the phone and 1 form.

Anyone have any more info regarding Maine plates? I have to register my 27’ enclosed soon and the tax and registration fees are going to be somewhere around $700. I hear it’s unenforceable, but other guys are saying they know someone who has received a ticket. Never talked to anyone directly that has received a ticket though.

I have Maine plates on mine. Give me a call for info.

I’ve combined these two threads into one.