Registering a car out of state? (College student)

Could use a little advice…

I put a down deposit on a car today at a used car dealer in Massachusetts. I am a student living in off-campus apartments in Connecticut. Obviously from Buffalo NY. Have a license in NY, haven’t done insurance yet - my ‘real address’ as a residency is still in Buffalo I guess.

It’d be nice to save money on sales tax, and also nice to not have to fax shit to my parents to register the thing over in NY. Anyone have advice? I have a PO box here and have for 2 months that I regularly recieve mail for my business here.

Thanks!

You are going to have to check with the state you want to register it in.

I may be confused on how this works, but couldnt you just have them send you the title and register it in your state ? or yeah just have your parents do it in NY, and bring your own plates and insurance to mass ? you may have to register it in the state that your licensed though

yeah it looks like I’m just gonna eat the sales tax and reg it in NY, i am gonna call connecticut dmv today and ask them, but i’ll probably just do NY for sake of convenience

goddamn 8.75 percent

some states allow you to do it, just have to prove you’re living there.

Right you do live there, I really was just guessing on the fact that you have to register in the state your licensed, that very well may not be the case, actually it really wouldn’t make alot of sense, not everyone has a contact in the state they moved from that can register the car for them, so you most likely you dont need to be licensed in the state to register a car

You will need to inspect it in NY, prior to registering it, since its from another state there will be no inspection history in the past 18 months.

sorry to throw you another bridge

shit that’s a good point

i could drive it up there though since its not thaaat far

pain in the ass though

I have a car registered in Texas but I have a NYS license and insurance still.

They said it was A-Ok…I know this is sort of reverse what your doing…but I also have a car here that is registered in NY…but the kicker is the inspection.

that’s exactly what i’m looking to do

i’ve been poking around on CT’s DMV site. i think i’m going to give them a call but here’s what they say:

am buying a car out-of-state and need to drive it home. What do I need?
Requirements are the same as Registration of a Used Vehicle Previously Registered Out of State. A temporary registration can be purchased to drive the vehicle home by bringing the properly assigned Certificate of Title, Bill of Sale, (form H-31) and Connecticut Insurance Card to your local DMV branch office. Sales tax (6 percent) will be paid when the temporary registration is issued.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?A=801&Q=244520

i’ll save some good money if i reg it here in CT on sales tax as well which would be fantastic, that shit adds up

that’s exactly what i’m looking to do

i’ve been poking around on CT’s DMV site. i think i’m going to give them a call but here’s what they say:

am buying a car out-of-state and need to drive it home. What do I need?
Requirements are the same as Registration of a Used Vehicle Previously Registered Out of State. A temporary registration can be purchased to drive the vehicle home by bringing the properly assigned Certificate of Title, Bill of Sale, (form H-31) and Connecticut Insurance Card to your local DMV branch office. Sales tax (6 percent) will be paid when the temporary registration is issued.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?A=801&Q=244520

i’ll save some good money if i reg it here in CT on sales tax as well which would be fantastic, that shit adds up

called the DMV

all I need is a letter from the dean saying I am a full time student and the typical shit you need to register a car.

awesome. thanks guys

What did you buy FAGGOT!

he prolly bought this

http://www.boingboing.net/images/_1059_846540901_7cb1e54512.jpg

If you’re buying from a dealer - they should take care of everything for you. Mail in to the DMV everything, and your registration and crap should come within a couple weeks.

They will probably give you a temporary plate.

Temp plates ftw, I remember my temp plate, its good for a month. Its also like $30 I think?

i’ll post pictures soon :slight_smile:

Congrats! I have my temps on the M3 still. Its a piece of cardboard wrapped in clear tape hahaha.

Thanks. M3s are really nice cars :wink: