Registration question

My reg is up pretty soon on my DD and I will need to renew it for another 2yrs ($120). Im ready to sell this car and buy a different one so my question is this…

If I renew now, lets say 8-1-12 and my new sticker says im good till 8-1-14 on my current DD, then sell my car and buy a different one, is it possible to not pay a dime, transfer the reg sticker and the new the reg sticker on the newer car will say 8-1-14?

or

Will I lose a yr on my current car($60), get credited the second yr($60) then reg the new car for 2 yrs?
So i’d be out $60

Its been a while, thanks

you will get a credit for the amount of months left. should be credited to your new Reg

are you sure it goes by months (unless something changed)
I thought once you were 1 day into the “new” year you cant get credited

Just don’t re-reg if youre selling it

Unless you drive like an asshole and get pulled over you should be fine, Do you need it reg’d for insurance renewal or something? Personally i wouldn’t bother if you were dropping the car in 2-3 weeks

this^
i hope to have a newer car in weeks

I swap plates between vehicles pretty often(winter car, different projects, etc), the re-reg date has always stayed the same. I’ve had 1 plate on 4 different cars over the last 2 years.

They give you the money back. So why chance getting a ticket?

Not to mention just about every local police department has those plate readers now and im pretty sure expired registration was one of the things they toss in that database.

You get refunded the 2nd year but not the first. You pay upfront for a year, anything after that you get a “credit”.

Seriously though it’s $60. I know it’s fucked up but I wouldn’t risk a ticket and a day off of work for a court date; could be more expensive if you think about it.

Weird I have my Camaro registered less then a year and just got a refund…When I turned in the plates they asked if I was registering anything else that day and wanted to roll it over.

I guess it could have been very close to the 1 year mark

^^ they may have an option if you’re going to register anything else that day to roll it over but if you’re canceling the registration before the year is up you lose out.

Stupid, why risk it. The trouble and fines will be more than paying to re-register the car.
You can roll it over onto the new one OR get a refund for whats left on it.
Simple stuff.

Refund of Registration Fee:

If you surrender your vehicle plates during the first year of a 2-year registration, you can request a refund of part of the registration fee. The amount you can receive is 50% (one year) of the 2-year registration fee. You cannot get a refund if the second year of the registration has started. A processing fee of $1 is subtracted from the refund amount. If you surrender your vehicle plates at a county-operated DMV office, you must pay an additional processing fee of $1 to surrender your vehicle plates.

You cannot receive a refund of the vehicle plate fee, the title certificate fee or other fees you paid when you registered the vehicle. The DMV can refund only a part of the registration fee as described above.

Here is an example:

You paid $137.50 to register your vehicle for two years. The amount you paid included $62.50 for the two years of the registration ($31.25 per year), $50 for the title certificate and $25.00 for the vehicle plates.
You surrender the vehicle plates during the first year of the registration, and you qualify for a refund of $30.25. This is a refund of the $31.25 fee for the second year of the registration with the $1 processing fee subtracted. There is no refund of other fees or taxes.
When you surrender your vehicle plates, your FS-6T receipt indicates if you are eligible to receive a refund. If you are eligible for a refund and you do not request a transfer receipt, your refund is processed automatically. You receive your refund by mail in several weeks.

If you are not eligible for a refund or you request a transfer receipt, the DMV office issues an FS-6T receipt that you can use to transfer the registration to another vehicle.

If you’re going to drive around with expired at least mount a camera somewhere in the car and post vid when you get pulled over/car is towed.

They wont tow you for something this stupid, they will give you a fix it ticket and send you on your way.

Cheektowaga has a nasty habit of doing this…

hahaha

I thought it was $60 per yr not $30…

Probably is. Check that site out they have all the fees listed by weight and class of the vehicle.

I forgot this was NYSpeed drive an Evo or S2k but can’t afford registration :lol:

^^ hope you’re not referring to me.

They CAN and they have.