Relube Bearings?

just take the hub off the car, bring hub and new bearing to any shop and they will charge you $20 to press the old one out and press the new one in.

+1
i’d probally taker to a napa/driveline place or something

This isn’t that big of a job. The car isn’t that old so it’s not going to be a big rusty mess. Once you get it apart, take it to a shop to have it pressed, as was mentioned. If you don’t think you can handle this by yourself, someone on here will probably help you. If it makes you feel any better, the hubs for my Dodge dually are $312 a piece. I found them for cheaper, but the last time I did them I had to do all the balljoints, tie rod ends, track bar ends, axleshaft U joints, and front driveshaft U-joints. I did it all myself, but parts alone were close to a grand. This was right after the $900 clutch replacement and $250 starter. FML.

Ya I may talk to Don about doing it. Gonna bring it to a shop and see what they say and what the warranty will cover. Technically it should be mechanical so hopefully the warranty pays off and covers this.

Since I dont need the car as I have a work car, maybe fun to try to do myself. Just really worried about a first venture working on something that could kill me if it goes wrong. haha

Naw, you’ll be fine. You really can’t put it together wrong. And if you really can’t figure it out, just look at the other side of the car to see how it looks all back together.

If you can get a replacement hub, which should be $60-150, do it yourself. If you can only get bearings and need to press them in and out, have someone else do it.

It shouldnt take you longer than a hour or two to do… Its a very simple job that requires little skill and knowledge. All you need is a huge ass loaner hub socket from autozone or advance and basic hand tools from there.

It would be very hard to fuck it up bad…

Lol, never underestimate people’s inabilities.

My big concern is taking off the caliper and rotor… I just remember them being a bitch to put back on.

^lol. How bad is the rust/corrosion?

Are you sure its a bad bearing?

It doesn’t look too rusty. I am dropping it off at a local shop this week to see if they can find out what exactly it is. Based off that, I will attempt it myself or pay someone on here. Just curious mostly in the original post if you can ask a shop to reseal them.

He lives at an apartment fuck taking that apart in a parking lot…

Removing the caliper and rotor is going to be the most difficult part, but so long as its not a 20 year old car with the factory rotors, its not a issue.

And if you break a seal on a hub bearing and it starts to make noise as a result, its going to be at least somewhat damaged and the lifespan will likely be shortened greatly as a result. If you hear noise, it would be a good idea just to replace it since its cheap enough.

Depending on the traffic flow, id have no problem doing this in a parking lot… But I suppose I could see how one would assume it to be an issue.

Esp cuz I don’t want to be attacked by the creepy old guy in my parking lot

it shouldnt be too hard to do a bearing… especially if you have decent tools and a garage.

:lol:

If creepy old guy attacks you though you’ll have a wrench to beat him with. We saw in that other thread how well a wrench works on a human head.

my bad. i wrote that before i saw his situation.

get it diagnosised and see whats what, i may be able to help with location/tools as i presently have alot of time on my hands

PAULY SAVES THE DAY AGAIN

+karma

I just taught my mom how to change her brake pads and rotors on her 03 Forester, I was watching and giving hints, she is in her 50’s and did 90% of the work. The hardest part is going to be pressing in and out the bearings (unless you have to buy the hub, which would make it that much easier) and you should take it to fleet pride or a shop to get that done but other then that it is pretty simple project.

but it is nice to have a hand from someone who knows what they are doing