Removing glass

Has anyone had any luck with removing the rear side windows on the hatch without breaking them ? I relaize that they are held in place with window sealent and a nut. I need to remove them to continue prepping the car for paint. And I really don’t want to put too much force on them, or heat them up too much as they may crack or break.

if anyone has sucessfully removed them, could you tell me how ?

thanks

James

Moved to tech.

its easy to do i just pulled mine out to paint my car, what youll need is a pieces of piano wire and some patience, it will take some time and effort to get out.

farmer

As farmer says piano wire works. I have used all sorts of things, mainly just a good sharp knife when I could get at it. The most important thing to remember is the window has to FALL OUT. Do not, I repeat, do not think that you will get that last little bit off with some force. I have heard of a few people breaking them that way. Once you get all the glue cut away it will literally fall right out easily. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience. If you don’t feel comfortable spending a LONG time on it, call a speedy glass or something and get them to take it out for you, the cost will be a lot better than picking up broken glass.

I took mine out with a friend that does it for a living. We used wire and a exacto knife.
Note. there is a plastic clip that you have to cut though along the piller and one were the bolt is. I will take a picture and show you.

http://members.rogers.com/jjm-imports/pictures/window.JPG

I circuled the clips in red.

Ah…good ‘ol Tim Horton’s when you’re workin’ on the car. :wink: