Renew motorcycle registration

I let the registration on my motorcycle expire about 2 years ago.

It’s a 1975 CB 550

I tried to renew it online, and, to no surprise, it didn’t work.

It didn’t tell me why, just that it didn’t work.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it because the bike hasn’t been inspected in 2 years? I know that the DMV will not allow you to renew your registration unless you have gotten it inspected… is this true for motorcycles as well?

2. If I go to the DMV to renew, will I be required to show proof of insurance? I know that they require it when initially registered, but for renewal?

3. Does anyone know a lax MC inspection station? The bike is old… The tires are totally shot, it has no mirrors or horn or speedo. I normally don’t take it out of the city, so this isn’t a big deal.

4. Does anyone have a plate sticker I could just have?

just by going off of car experience…i think if ur registration lapses after X amount of days I think you have to register it as u were registering it for the first time. So yes proof of insurance will be needed and i think they will give u a temp inspection.

I renewed mine after a 3 year break…
IIRC, I bought the insurance then went in to the DMV.

Pretty painless…
I have only had it inspected once since I owned it…

Does anyone have a scan of a motorcycle inspection sticker?

lol. Sketchhhh.

Why not ride around with it just expired? Probably less illegal than forging.

Truth^

I never inspected my bike after purchasing it from PA. IT had the PA inspection the entire time I had it. The 2 times I was pulled cops never had an issue with it.

My friend however put a piece a silver duct tape over his expired blue inspection sticker. Cop didn’t like that much, and shortly after being pulled his bike was on the back of a truck. Food for thought.

Why not just go and pay and have it done right… unless of course the bike would fail an inspection in which case, don’t ride it duh.

Because it needs tires and mirrors and a horn. It’s definitely not going to pass… it rarely leaves the city tho, so who cares.

get tires and I will take care of the rest

Get it registered and insured. Inspections are more of a guideline really…
You can illegally drop the insurance if you so choose.

It’s not hard to re-register the bike after some time off.

Newman…I only run one mirror on my '75 cb550…my horn doesn’t work either…I have a spare mirror and a spare good rear tire. Come get them both and go to Empire cycle on s.western blvd and see Lee. He will mount and balance the tire for $15 iirc and inspection he is real lax on and that’s $10 iirc. Lee is an awesome dude btw and has good prices on tires if u need a new front

Lol, I may or may not have ever had my bike inspected, eff that noise.

Get there quick, as he will no doubtingly have inspection license trouble soon.

fyi, the motorcycle reg. stickers are the same (at least visually) as trailer plate stickers… just in case you had a current trailer plate handy to borrow from.

You can also just call geico for silly cheap, temporary, coverage over the phone…they e-mail you your printable insurance cards, eventually send a bill in the mail. Go to the dmv, get your paperwork, then a couple days later cancel the coverage and likely pay a very small sum for the couple days it was in effect.

^ Darren speaks wise words.

(Off topic but I heard you’re running the advanced riders course? Can you PM me some details?)