Renting a car...Hertz or Alamo

Going to be needing a rental for a future vacation and Im torn between these two companies.
Hertz because its a “top name”, Ive used them in the past and it was good, im a “gold member” and they have 4.5 out of 5 stars. Hertz wants $520
Alamo because they are more then half of hertz rate and they are 4.3 out of 5 stars. Alamo wants $218

Ill be going with the fam so I dont want any crap (which is why I almost want to pony up the extra $ but Alamo is a good amount of savings. Both rentals are at the airport.

What say you…

Whatever is cheaper its just a rental car?

Alamo is still a large name rental car company I have used them all and haven’t had bad luck with any

I say keep your $. As long as they have a car that hauls your fam and junk around, take the 300 gamble.

I have never had some horrible vacation ruining thing happen from renting a car from any company…Hertz, National, Alamo, Budget etc.

i used to rent a car every week when i travelled for work. i typically went with enterprise or hertz but ive used them all…get the cheapest and don’t crash, it’ll be fine, most companies have the same option cars in my experience with the exception of a few.

like most things, negative reviews are usually written by people that did something stupid, then didn’t get the reimbursement they wished for.

I typically avoid Hertz because they put a gigantic hold on your CC and then bill you the total (so it’s gigantic hold + amount due). National does not put a huge hold on my cc, only charges me whats due when I return the car.

I have been using National for work a lot picking whatever from the row and driving has worked out really well

^ This.

Cool, thanks guys

We’ve used Alamo multiple times for family vacations with no issues.
Just flew back in town today from Florida, had a full size vehicle for 15 days for $340 from Alamo.

National, Alamo and Enterprise are the same company and share cars between the 3. Rental car companies are all terrible, just shop by price.

If you do use hertz be sure to scoop up some of these vouchers on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Hertz-car-rental-Reward-Program-Free-Day-Coupon-Certificates-Vouchers-/151890183031?

I used dollar car rental for a month when I first moved out to CA. the car was newer ~10k miles and I could pick from the row. No problems.

I can’t believe this is a thread.

I didn’t know you could rent two toned vehicles.

Thx for the heads up! Im going to go with Alamo but never knew you could buy coupons for rentals on ebay…should have known. Spending $3 to save $25 is sweet

The 2 tone vehicle was turned in to 1 tone and then wrecked. Sadly, it did not like being monotone.

Go with Alamo for the savings. The only one that I have heard sketchy things about and would avoid is Fox. Also, I have had great luck on carrentalsavers.com which searches all of the promo codes for the various companies and books all no-deposit rentals.

When you’re not paying for it, National executive for the win.