Repainting a deck in the original color

I need to repaint my sun porch’s decking as the old finish is chipping in some areas. Most of the paint is fine, so I don’t want to strip away the majority of it (besides it’ll cost a small fortune in chemical strippers), just scrape off the old paint, either reprime or scuff, and then paint the same color again for a nice, even finish.

Any tips or should elbow grease and some sharp scrapers be enough?

i stripped my parents deck with a pressure washer

yep, +1 for pressure washer

Pressure Washer FTW…

Yeah, use a pressure washer if you want to annialate the wood. It’s a sun porch so I’m guess that means enclosed which means getting water in there is a bad idea. So back to scraping/sanding… Just use a sharp scraper for the loose stuff, then take 80 grit sand paper to sand the edges so you don’t have ridges where theres no paint. If you bring me in a paint chip the size of a quarter or bigger I can match it for you. I sell quarts or gallons. Is it oil based or latex? If the chip cracks immediately when you bend it, thats oil. A latex paint chip will flex before it snaps. As for primer all of my floor paint is self priming, so no need to prime. PM me if you want me to match it and set you up with what you need.

That’s what I was looking for. Yes, it’s enclosed - not certain of the paint type yet, I’ll probably take a look this weekend at it. :tup:

rent a floor sander

Shut up.

lol. <3

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

EDIT: just so you know… i truly burst out laughing.