Replaced the battery, now starter just clicks?

:wtf:

Can you take the starter out of the car and hook up 12V to it to see if the spiral gear pops out and spins when it’s not in the car?

The spiral gear pops out but does not spin on the old one. New one does nothing.

The other thing that I was thinking is that it could be that I got a bad battery? If it was a bad battery tho, wouldnt the car start up fine when I try jumping off of another car? And also if it was a bad battery, wouldnt the starter click rapidly and not just once?

The chances the battery is bad are verry low… Id say its the solenoid, but if you connected the started DIRRECTLY to the battery, and nothing happned… That would be a bad starter, with NO load on the starter, it should turn no problem on a dead as hell battery. So, you headlights turn on? If so, batterys fine… Just leave the headlights on and try to start it, if they stay lit and all you hear is a click, the battery is fine, the starter isnt drawing power…

This should be a real easy fix, but youd need someone with electrical knowhow to go there and it should take like 2 mins…

clean ur terminals better

ive had this happen before at our shop the car (96 caravan)would just click with no cranking, we changed the batt and starter with the same results just clicking. We could turn the motor by hand but very tough so we took off the belt and it started right up.WTF it ended up being a seized a/c compresor, dont ask me how but it was

[quote=“3sny,post:26,topic:30175"”]

ive had this happen before at our shop the car (96 caravan)would just click with no cranking, we changed the batt and starter with the same results just clicking. We could turn the motor by hand but very tough so we took off the belt and it started right up.WTF it ended up being a seized a/c compresor, dont ask me how but it was

[/quote]

wouldn’t apply here since it push starts. you have a wiring issue here. also what kind of car is this?

replace the started solenoid

this happened to me last year in my fox

1 click = starter solenoid

[quote=“02svtfocus,post:28,topic:30175"”]

replace the started solenoid

this happened to me last year in my fox

1 click = starter solenoid

[/quote]

+10bizillion…

I said this a few times… No need to even get that new starter, your old ones were probably fine…

just leave your car parked on a hill at all times, problem solved.:cjerk:

[quote=“02AccordCoupe,post:29,topic:30175"”]

+10bizillion…

I said this a few times… No need to even get that new starter, your old ones were probably fine…

[/quote]

so the car was working fine and starting fine. he then needed a battery because he had to jump start it and now its clicking and u think the starter or the solonoid went bad(which btw buying a solonoid isnt far off from the cost of a starter.) its possible but very unlikely. hes not getting enough power via a loose connection or bad wiring.

you know your 12v test that you were trying? Try that on a different car and the starter(maybe both) will work. Serioulsly, get some 4 gauge wire, and make a new positive battery cable. It happened to me twice, the exact same problems. Did you even test continuity from the battery to the starter? When it happened to me I lost 5 volts between the two… not sure what happened, just old wires i guess.

Just tested the continuity from the battery to the starter. The hot wire measured 8v when I tried to crank it. Whats my next move? The battery measures 12.30v

edit: I also tested the positive wire running from the underhood fuse box to the positive battery terminal with a neutral ground and got a reading of 12.27v so I dont think that its the positive cable. I tested all of my grounds and the all come back fine. The only thing that doesnt check out is the 8v reading off of the positive wire that goes into the starter solenoid.

1. Clean terminals
  2. Check grounds to the engine, make sure that the ground from the frame to the transmission is in good shape.
  3. Check starter load with a VAT tester. You need to go to a shop that can do that or autozone can do it i think.

Put the headlights on, crank the engine. If the headlights dim but stay on then there is a mechanical resistance (broken rod, bolt holding crank, etc…) something that is preventing the engine from physically turning.

If the lights stay bright then you have no power being transfered to the starter there fore no real current draw. Check your grounds again, then check the starter itself.

Good luck.

From the sound of your post up above, sounds like the battery could possibly be faulty.,

Here are things that Ive tried and the results Ive gotten:

1. Tried to start with the headlights on- Headlights did not dim
  2. Checked voltage of battery- 12.3v
  3. Checked vlotage of battery under load- 11.9v
  4. Checked voltage of power cable going from battery to underhood fuse box- 12.3v
  5. Cleaned all grounds and connections down to bare metal- still just got a click sound
  6. Bought a new starter- still just got a clicking sound.
  7. Tried using a jumper wire (14 gauge) directly from the + batt. to the solenoid on both new and old starters- shaft pops out but does not spin the starter
  8. Tried doing the above with new starter on another vehicle and got the same results.
  9. Checked voltage from the solenoid terminal when under load- 8.3v
  10. Push started the car and popped the clutch- Car started and ran perfectly.

edit:
11. Bought new terminal connectors- Click
12. Bought a new ground wire to go from battery ground to a starter bolt- Click
13. Stripped down all neg. and pos. wires and re-tightened connection on terminal connectors- Click
14. Checked starter fuses- all checked out ok.

park on hills, dont stall it? lol

gl man

The ground wires are all attached back to the same places you removed them?

I have seen a honda hatch not start because the ground wire on the head was in the wrong spot…

The thing that is really getting me is the 8v that the signal wire is getting at the solenoid. What could cause it to only be getting 8v when the battery has 12.3v? And why would the starter still not start after giving it direct power from the battery? When giving it power directly from the battery, the shaft will pop out but it will not spin. Ive checked and rechecked all of my grounds visually. How should test them with a multi meter?

Dropped her off to the Honda Dealership today. Ill let them figure out whats wrong :tup:

im having the same problem with my fox… ill have to mention this to the mechanic