Replacement car, Elantra vs Fusion

Well some old lady decided not to stop at a red light and I am pretty sure my impala is totaled. The plan assuming they don’t fix my car is to buy a new car for my wife and I will DD her trusty old saturn. We have been thinking of getting her into a new car for awhile now and the two big players so far would be a used 2010 or newer Fusion, or a brand new 2012 Elantra. Now I know these cars are not direct competitors but price wise they are in the same range and they seem to both suit what we are looking for in a car.

We had a new fusion as a rental car for 2 weeks when we moved to Denver last month and the wife really likes them. They have all the options and needs that we want, they seem to be reliable, they look good and can be had for a decent price in a year old 20k mile used car. Now the rental we had was a v6 model, and we would be opting for the 4cyl variety so before we go to test drive one how do they drive? Do they have enough power to get out of the way or are they slow and lethargic? Anything else I am missing in the Fusion, problems or pluses?

The Elantra is our current rental, I think it’s a pretty sharp looking car and it has all the options/features we are looking for but you can tell it’s a little below the fusion when it comes to overall polish. We haven’t had enough time with the car yet to see if we really like it more than the fusion but our first impressions are good. I will say though that I still need to get over the stigma of buying a Hyundai, I know they have come a long way and their current lineup seems to be an overall quality product. So any issues, or reasons I should stray away from an Elantra?

I’m also looking for opinions from anyone who owns either of these cars, good or bad. We are open to suggestions of other cars to check out, not looking to spend more than 25k but would like to keep it closer to 20k. Thanks in advance guys.

Fusion>>>>>Elantra. I looked at a Fusion awhile back for my mother and the car rode great and was peppy. She absolutley loved it and, were it not for the GMS we probably would have bought it. How did Hyundai become a legitimate car company anyway? 5 years ago they were making tinker toys.

Fusion over the Elantra. But why not get the V6? You’ll spend a little more but get it back when you go to sell it, and a 4 banger is going to use just as much gas as a 6 getting a decent sized car up to speed.

Different class really, the elantra is a great car and the best in it’s class, and you can get a limited which gets you leather, heated front and rear seats, moonroof, blue tooth (which is very easy and works flawlessly)

I don’t know enough about the fusion to say anything to be honest

Why not get a sonata if you are looking at fusion? Still priced less and MUCH BETTER warranty

A BIG x2 to this.

The sonatas have some known issues and to get a new one with the right options you’re looking at close to 30k.they are too new to find any decent deal on a used one and dealers don’t seem to be doing much when it comes to a deal on a new one. If we wanted to spend that much we would just buy a new fusion and call it a day.

Btw guys the random Hyundai hate with no facts to back up your arguments are just dumb and not needed. Moat of what gm and Ford were making in the 90’s were absolute garbage as well yet they get a free pass because they have been around for so long.

This

The hyundais are actually pretty nice cars now, often they can be had cheaper than a fusion…but fusion is still nicer in my opinion and can be made affordable by the right dealer

I had a fusion rental and honestly thought it was pretty nice. The cupholder lights were a little distracting though. I kept thinking my phone was going off, haha…

Disregard my pm i see you are in denver lol. Still send me a pm if you need any info

Fusion. Leaps ahead of the older Fusions, and even those were good cars. The newest ones have addressed all the issues of the first-gen cars.

This is what a Hyundai Elantra is gonna look like in 5 years:

You’re so helpful a full of insight

Just messin man. I’ve heard a lot of great things about the Fusions, I really have. I’ve heard all kinds of bad things about all Hyundais, even the new ones. What scares me most about Hyundai is just how cheap the cars are. I know that they have less legacy costs like old pensions, healthcare, etc. as well as lower labor costs but I just have to think that some of the cost savings comes from skimping on materials.

For example all of those new Hyundai Sonatas that housewives are raving about look fucking terrible up close because Hyundai skimped on their paint. Obviously paint doesn’t reflect the reliability of a car, but it’s a visual example.

thats one thing I will agree with, paint quality is not the best… but then again does paint quality have anything to do with reliability?

show one other car that comes standard with these features for 20,000 and you will see why the elantra is a great car
40mpg highway on every elantra (not just stripped down models)
10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
5 year 60,000 comprehensive warranty
front AND rear heated seats
mid size interior space
flawless bluetooth system that even your grandma could setup
guaranteed value !! with their new assurance program

I drove my Dads Fusion on a long road trip and its pretty nice. Its a 2.5 liter 4 with the 6 speed. The power was not bad at all and it got great mileage. Its got a really big overdrive for a 4 cyl.

Both are very reliable. I see about 10 of each come into our shop every week for reconditioning before we sell them and neither have any major flaws that I’ve seen. Just pick whichever one makes your wife happiest.

i had a fusion rental and was very surprised by how good it was.

i also go shotgun in elantra’s with our field team and they get really good feedback from our guys at work but i’d still side with teh fusion.

No the Fusion is at least $2000 more no matter what package/options you are looking for… Hell you can get a Sonata SE turbo with 278hp/18’ wheels/sport tuned suspension/paddle shifters/dual exhaust/10 YEAR WARRANTY/ for around $23,500 if you get invoice