resumes

either studied or braindumped… :rolleyes:

ever hear anything from when I sent you mine? or was mine one of the shitty ones lol. I went to a tech school and realized my mistake and finished up in college regretting ever wasting money on tech school

tech shol is a good base but not enough to get you were ya want to be in the industry. where did you go to finish up your bs?

my $.05 worth
bust ass, dont do anything 1/2 ass (school, resume’s, work) and you’ll end up (hopefully) in a career you like, not a job.
I busted my ass through college, went full time (considered 12 hours wk here)
worked 11pm-8am at a Donut shop and went to class on M-W-F all day, also pulled off 2 great internships. I love my line of work, I deal with 300+ real Estate agents on a daily basis, I worked my way up from just a secretary or should I say “administrative assistant” to The EA of the Board in a little over a year. And guess what? I went to college for Social Work! LOL I didnt learn anything about running a Real Estate Board in College, but because I had college, and because I had alot of “people skills”, I was hired on same day as my interview.
Confidence is the key, and if you know you didnt half ass anything, the employer will see that too.

:nono:

atleast you stray’d from social work… i used to work with the county MH/MR… non-profit county work = teh suck!!!

preach on sista!

do your job and do it well… you will never have a problem

also, dont discount being able to give a good interview. Ive never been denied anything as far as jobs/loans/rentals. There is so much to be said for looking and acting professional. Like when I “interviewed” to rent this house, I came in a shirt and tie, spoke well, was polite and outgoing, and even though I didnt meet the “requirements” the realtor wanted for the house, by the time she was back at the office she was telling everyone else that the house was sold even before I produced any of my financial records or anything, which im told is a very rare occurance. I also beat out 3 people for my job at the hotel that were 10x more qualified than I was, just because I interviewed well.

:slight_smile:

Indeed, being a “real person” is what interviewers rely on the most as opposed to being something produced by a college or tech school that says you have met qualifications to graduate… One of my current profs used to do interviews for like 4 years, and we get to do mock interviews with him. Probably gonna be one of the most important classes I take this semester.

granted the interview gets you the job, but your resume gets you that opportunity to interview!

I currently don’t have anything but an outdated MCSE and have a job as a network admin. I found that without a degree, your options are limited. An associates degree/tech school diploma will take you a little farther than a high school diploma/GED. A four year+ degree is what is needed to really go far in the IT field. There are a few people that do very well with no degree, but you are playing with fire if you think a 2-year degree will get you to the top. I am currently going to the University of West Mifflin (CCAC) for my associates, then going somewhere for my bachelors. It’s the only proven way to get ahead.

I also am a firm believer it’s not exactly what you know but who you know. I have got all of my jobs through people/friends who heard of the opening and put a good word in for me. I had no experience and no degree and was still working on my MCSE when i got my current job, because I knew some people here.

experience is number 1 when competing against other people with bachelors. finally i’m getting some experience and i hope it’ll help me land my ideal career within the next 5 or so years.

experience is number 1 when competing against other people with bachelors. i lucked out and am temping with a big company right now (Ernst and Young). finally i’m getting some experience and i hope it’ll help me land my ideal career within the next 5 or so years.

While you’re there, get them to stop sending fucking letters to people that don’t work here anymore… :madfawk: I send them back with “Not at this address” and they keep sending them 2X a week anyways!

Don’t knock the helpdesk. They’re not all the same. I am the helpdesk for Kennametal and I like it. I have a high School diploma and make enough to live in a big house and pay for Eurodads car. I also have manyplaces I can go in this company because most managers here value 1. trainablility and 2. work ethic.