Review: Famous Dave's BBQ

So today I ate at the new place called Famous Dave’s which is located on Walden accross from Target. Figured it would be fun to check out the new place. This was done around 5pm, so it was moderatly busy.

Atmosphere:

Much like any other BBQ place it have the usual assortment of random stuff on the wall, much like Fudruckers however the inside was practically all wood so much so you could smell it. Kind of had an old fashioned scent to it, with the smell of tasty BBQ sauce in the air. A very welcome change from a majority of restauraunts.

At the table which appeared to be well crafted out of something other than particle board, supposedly it was called wood. There was 4 different BBQ sauces, and some special mustard. Infact the only commonly found items on the table were.

a. A bottle of Heinz Ketchup
b. Salt & Pepper
c. A 6-pack carton of Bud-Light which was now holding the BBQ sauce.

The place was darn near spotless. I’m pretty sure I could have easily ate off the floor.

Service:

Oddly all of the hosts/hostesses were all very friendly, and extremely cheerful without being annoyingly so. Upon walking in we were warned about the size of the meals. We were told the waiter would be there in a few seconds.

No later than 3-4 seconds BAM, a waiter name pulled a chair up, sat down, gave us a guided tour of the menu. With also some warnings of the portions. He was super funny so much so I wasn’t quite sure how to react as you never see that nowadays. Also made some excellent suggestions on the appitizers.

Pretty much throughout the entire experience someone always came by at the right time to refill the drinks, or clear something off the table. Towards the end instead of leaving everything on the table it was cleared off so you could just sit back, relax, or get your lean on. Instead of the normal “GTFO” atmosphere it was very welcoming. And the service was outstanding. Food came in the usual amount of time. Even got a moist-towelette before the food came.

Food:

For the appitizer I ended up having the Onion Strings, which was lightly battered thin onion strips. Fried to a greasy golden brown, cooked just right. Slightly crunchy will being quite tender, very tasty indeed.

For the meal I had gotten the Ultimate BBQ Burger, with Pork & Beans for the side. Their burgers only came in 1/2lb sizes, no more no less. The menu stated everything would be cooked medium-well.

And I got exactly that, a thick, tender, and juicy beef patty cooked to near perfection with just a hint of pink in the center. Also had pulled pork on it with cheadar ticker strips of bacon, with some other spices in between. The lettuce, tomato, and pickle were off to the side already. The burger itself almost looked like it would be what you see for a picture on the menu. A good thing because there was no way it would have fit with those on it. And I would have pulled it off anyways so for me it was perfect.

However my only minor gripe was that I got home fries instead of beans, when this was pointed out they were tossed in for free within mere minutes.

The fries were again golden and crispy a result that can only be accomplished by using fresh & clean grease. Beans very good also and had the same type of pork mixed into it. All of the BBQ sauces were excellent and had distinct lavors to them.

Portions were excellent being on the large side, I cleared off the burger and about 1/2 the fries still leaving a good deal on the plate.

Price:

Price is pretty typical for the type of food, portions are excellent. My meal cost about 9.50ish. Most of them ranged between $7-12. For the portions it was well worth it.

Pros:
-Amazing service
-Great atmosphere
-Good food
-Nice overall feel

Cons:
-That I will keep going back until I have either a heartattack, or file bankrupcacy due to eating there.

Cliffs: Amazing service, good food. Can’t find anything really valid to whine about.

:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup: of :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

i drive by that place everyday , i always c that parkinglot full

So you went to a BBQ joint and got a burger? Dude… Fuzzy… Help me out here. Im me sometime after 5:00 if you’re hungry someday, ill take you for BBQ.

What can I say I was in a greasy burger mood and was not disappointed. :slight_smile:

I’ll take you up on that offer once I start on days.

:tup:

good review. Saw the place Saturday, but we already had plans to go to Olive garden for the anniv.

ill have to give it a try. great review too!

I really enjoyed the devil bbq sauce when i was there, the place didnt seem very chainish when I was there

93civichatch loves this place, claims the ribs are better than dinasour bar, he has been there a bunch of times already

goto bws if u want good bbq, were going to daves tommorow, but i can almost guarentee it wont be as good as bws or even dinasaur :slight_smile:

bws ???

going in with that attitude I gaurantee you will say that BWs is better.

I want to see if the service and all that stays up after a year or so in business. Most places when they first open up are like parents weekend in college. The food is great, the smiles are large but once your folks leave, it’s back to canned ass for food.

I will be trying this place ASAP though.

True, however why not enjoy it while it’s there. Will be interesting to see how it is in a year.

I poste this in another thread, BW beef>* but i prefer KY gregs pork, and his gumbo is like taking a shot in the mouth from god.

Fuzzy PM me anytime We have a date with a man named greg.

I think its a BBQ over on lake and abbott?

I ate there 2 days in a row last week. At first i was a little overwhelmed by the horible open lensed compact flourscent lights, but that was quickly overcome by our way to bubbly server. The food was really good and the service was attentive, but i really wanted to knock her out.

great review, I’ll have to check it out.

i went int and im a huge dinasour fan and i gotta tell ya famous daves is really really good

i’ll check it out someday. i <3 bbq stuff

naw im open minded when i comes to BBQ, like i said were going tommorow, im sure it will be good, but i have yet to have anything as good as BW’s, IMO only of course.

been to fat bobs–ok but ive had better
smokey bones–poopcicle
one eyed jacks–very good
lees bbq on the east side–one of the best, but only take out, and bring a gun :stuck_out_tongue:

I work at the one in Rochester and have since we opened in March. I keep plugging the place on here and finally someone went. The service is still super at ours, the hosts could use some prodding. I am a cook, i used to host/bartend. Im currently in Manager training. and if i get moved to buffalo for manager stuff ill have a nyspeed night with some good deals. but thats in the long run.

Im glad you liked it fuzzy. It blows dino outta the water on everything. That atmosphere is different, but you will NOT be disapointed.

Fun place to work too.