Review : Xbox 360 HD DVD drive

It’s the fucking shit. I got this for xmas, and have been very impressed with it so far. It came with a copy of King Kong, which looks fucking phenomenal on my Sony SXRD :tup:

Setup was very simple, and the drive itself runs pretty quietly.

If you have a 360, and a decent HDTV, I say buy buy buy!!! You will be glad you did once you see how badass some of these HD DVD movies look.

And I stress the word SOME, because not all HD DVD movies are created equal. Some are shot in not as high quality, so results may vary.

I pulled this off the avsforum, those nerds really know their shit when it comes to this stuff…

Welcome to the Tier System for HD DVD PQ.

This ongoing list is a place where we all can come together and rate/discuss new releases.

This list is in constant flux as new titles arrive, so check back frequently.

The titles within a tier are also in order of PQ. A title listed above another in the same tier has a slightly higher PQ rating.

A debate we often have here is in regard to “director’s intent”. Please note that this list does not reflect it. Traffic for example, is highly filtered, with various film stocks. This is an example of something the director clearly intended. However, there is little detail and no depth to the image after all this processing. That is why it is a Tier 4 title. While the director’s intent was clear with that title, with others it is more difficult to discern. Since trying to divine it would be purely subjective, it doesn’t have a place on this list. If blacks are crushed, like they are in Mission: Impossible III, the blacks are crushed. Some may find this pleasing, and it may well be director J.J. Abrams intention, but it decreases depth in dark areas and nearly eliminates shadow detail, so it gets knocked down a few pegs despite it’s stunning sharpness.

3D as I refer to it here, are examples where an item is so detailed and sharp that it jumps off the screen. The shot of Crematoria in Riddick is a prime example.

(bobbed) is an upconverting from 1080i process some masters at WB underwent. It reduces resolution and introduces “jaggies” (stair-stepping).

The following signifiers refer to specific features found on HD DVD discs and do not affect their placement on this list. They are present purely as a courtesy for our members. Please note that this list only refers to picture quality.

(THD) refers to TrueHD. This is a lossless audio codec which provides crystal clear sound.

(MA) refers to DTS HD Master Audio. Right now it offers a core DTS signal providing 1.5 mbps. Later on when recievers become available (and if we get a firmware update to support it) they will provide an additional 1.5 mbps.

(U-C) refers to U-Control. This is an interactive overlay utilized on some Universal discs. Firmware 2.0 is required to access it.

(IME) refers to In-Movie-Experience. This is an overlay feature much like U-Control, only with fewer interactive options. All firmware supports IME.

(CMB) refers to combos, which are HD DVD/DVD hybrids. These are typically a bit pricier. Combos do not seem to affect PQ in any way. Early combos were only 15 GB on the HD side which may have precluded THD on some titles.

TIER 1-The best of the best
No visible compression, sharp image with many examples of 3D

King Kong (U-C) 2.0 REQUIRED for playback!
Corpse Bride
The Ant Bully (CMB)(THD)
Hulk (U-C) 2.0 REQUIRED for playback!
The Chronicles of Riddick
Seabiscuit
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (European import)(THD)
Aeon Flux
Sahara
Ray
Mission: Impossible III (crushed blacks)(IME)
Reign of Fire (Japanese Import)
Equilibrium (Japanese Import)
The Brothers Grimm (Japanese Import)
Training Day (THD)
The Mummy
The Fast & The Furious
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (THD)(IME)
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift (U-C)(CMB)
ATL
Grand Prix
Total Recall (European Import)(MA)
Serenity
The Manchurian Candidate
Phantom of the Opera (THD)
La Haine (European Import)(MA)
Good Night and Good Luck (CMB)
Out of Sight
Scary Movie 4
Derailed
Dune
Smallville: The Complete Fifth Season (IME)
Swordfish
The Polar Express
Cream Reunion
Eagles farewell
Heart: Alive in Seattle (THD)
Batman Begins (THD)(IME)

Tier 2- Very good
Not as many 3D effects, but a very sharp image that feels real

The Rundown
V for Vendetta (THD)(IME)
Mission Impossible 2
We Were Soldiers (intentional grain)
Miami Vice (CMB)
Slither (CMB)
Army of Darkness (CMB)
Waterworld
Red Dragon
End of Days (THD)
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (THD)
Running Scared (European import)(MA)
Spy Game
Troy (THD)(IME)
Syriana
Space Cowboys
Terminator 3 (IME)
The Last Samurai
U-571
Pitch Black
Jarhead
House of Wax
Blazing Saddles
The Searchers
Constantine (THD)(IME)
Mission: Impossible
Happy Gilmore
The Dukes of Hazzard (IME)
Backdraft
Sky Captain (purposefully blurry)
The Bourne Supremacy (IME)
The Thing
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (CMB)
Unleashed (CMB)
Rumor Has It (CMB)
Million Dollar Baby
Van Helsing
Unforgiven
Assault on Precinct 13
Apollo 13
Casablanca
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Under Siege
Forbidden Planet
The Break-Up (U-C)(CMB) 2.0 REQUIRED for playback!
The Interpreter
Chronos
Four Brothers
Mutiny on the Bounty
Finding Neverland (Japanese import)
The Bone Collector
16 Blocks (CMB)
Superman: The Movie

Tier 3- Good
Few 3D effects, some digital noise/artifacting

Superman Returns (THD)(CMB)
12 Monkeys
The Lake House (CMB)
Doom
Friday Night Lights
A Christmas Story
Land of the Dead (CMB)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (CMB)
Firewall (CMB)
Enter the Dragon (bobbed)
Lethal Weapon 2 (bobbed)
Cinderella Man
Lethal Weapon (bobbed)
Goodfellas
The New Orleans Benefit Concert
Oliver Twist (Japanese Import)
Accepted (CMB)
Tomb Raider
The Italian Job
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Meet the Parents
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (CMB)
Waist Deep (CMB)
Caddyshack
Nacho Libre
Christmas Vacation
Sleepy Hollow (digital noise)
Excalibur
Reds
Dazed & Confused (CMB)
Animal House (CMB)
The Perfect Storm (bobbed)(THD)

Tier 4- A bit underwhelmed
Visible artifacting, softness, few if any 3D effects

An American Werewolf in London (CMB)
Spartacus
U2: Rattle and Hum
Traffic
The Dirty Dozen
The Fugitive (bobbed)
Full Metal Jacket (bobbed)

[color=Black]So yeah, go buy a hd drive for your 360 today and get a good hd dvd and prepare to be impressed. :smiley:

5 out of 5
[/color]

Good review.

I won’t be bothering with HD DVD’s untill I get a better TV, which won’t be for a while.

u review better than u play r6

ZING!

ain’t that the truth…good review though :slight_smile:

lol

me + bladez = you and skunk die 32497 times in 30 seconds

:smash2:

:baby:

:lolsign:

lol

ibJoesTypeSsaysps3iswaybetterdealvaluesavesbabyseals

Good review :tup:

:mamoru:

I’ll be upgrading my TV when I move in less than a month. Then the HD DVD drive will follow shortly after. Good find with the list of DVD’s though Mike :tup:

I wish I had an HD tv so I could enjoy my blu-ray player.

i Enjoy my BluRay with my HDTV :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t you refer to it as your PS3? Or is it only good for playing BluRay discs?

i love playing My games on it too…i heart my Ps3

My PS3 wears many hats. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do I even wanna know what the cost of an HD DVD is. I have just shy of 600 actual copies of dvd’s (not burnt) and I don’t see me changing to these anytime soon if they are more. I already complain that 19.99 is too much for a dvd haha.

It’s 200 bucks. Which i think is a great deal. I am getting so spoiled with this shit, that now when i watch cable tv on a regular 480 feed im like :uhh:

hd dvds are btw 25 an 35 and they are definetly worth the few extra dollars the picture quality is more than enough reason to get that shit…

hmm interesting. maybe ill take a peek into some of the hd/blu ray drives and decide for myself which of them id rather go with.

I can imagine that they looks great, switching from an hd movie on tv back to regular cable always is a nail biter