Ricoh to Produce HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, CD, DVD Combo Drive

TOKYO — Trying to bridge the gap between next-generation optical disk formats, Ricoh said it has developed an optical component that reads and writes all disk formats—Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD, as well as DVD and CD—with one pickup and one objective lens.

Ricoh will show the optical device at the International Optoelectronics Exhibition '06 outside Tokyo on July 12-14. The company intends to offer the device to OEMs by year’s end.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=190300953

while it’s cool… I’m still up in the air with the whole BR discs

I’m not sure I want to even support the technology (from the shit I’ve read about it)

It’s becoming more and more likely that Sony is just gonna get killed on this blu-ray/PS3 fiasco…

actually… I wouldnt be suprised if it flops.

I mean, look at dual layer dvd’s… even now, I dont know anyone that uses them as they’re way too expesive… just rather use 2 single layers.

i use them all the time, and they are only a few bucks a disk now, compared to 9 when they first came out, you expect the prices to drop within 6 months, your crazy, considering there is nothing else out there, untill HD-DVD disks come out expect dvd-dl to remain a tad on the high side.

well thats sort of what I mean… when HD/BR discs come out, DL-dvd’s will drop and you’ll see those taking over (use 2 of those opposed to a HD dvd that will cost you 10+ a disc…).

and a few bucks for a single disc is too rich for my blood… I like the walmart specials on the single layers

yeah well i dont like swapping dvds and even shrink cant compress good enough when getting into DL movies.