Right Hand Drive insurance question

So I’ve come up on the opportunity to buy a gts skyline. I am not looking to find out which companies insure these cars so before you say anything about that…

My questions are somewhat dumb but I’m not sure whether they have been answered before but I couldn’t find them anywhere online.

So first off, I’m 18 years old. I’ve heard that RHD cars fall under collectors cars in which case I have to be 25 years old or have 5 years experience. I have neither, is that true?

Secondly, as an average what could I expect to pay a month on insurance? Ballpark? Anybody here have a cheap quote? I pay $265 on my 240sx right now, so anybody have anything for like $310? I’m not expecting to find anything under $400 a month to be honest but worth a try.

And another question which is sort of random, but I looked into buying a converted skyline but shyed away because it was a complete mess with everything being done by an amateur mechanic. The Vin# would still be classified as a RHD, but would you be able to get it appraised as a LHD and have your insurance company insure it that way? In case that ever comes up again.

Thanks guys, in case these were absolute noob questions then just ignore them. I’ve called companies but they hang up as soon as they hear right hand drive.

this has been beaton to death a million times on this forum search for it man

It’s true, and I think its 10years continuous driving experience, not 5.

You can try to have it revinned by Insurance Bureau of canada, should run you $450… Then you can insure it by your current company, no questions asked.

I did search, came up with nothing that was specific to my question. Just a bunch of “where can I get RHD insurance” topics.

And thank you GetARide. That is interesting but these conversion cars seem to be slaughtered beyond repair but nice to know for the future.

I have a 95 gtst rhd, insured by statefarm
I am 28 with years of insurance and a good record, but that’s not why statefarm insured me… I’m pretty sure it had nothing to do with my age or experience for eligibility. But it does affect the price.
I don’t think the vin of the Lhd skyline wold make it an rhd according to insurance… After all, it is a Lhd car at the end of the day… And they didn’t even know where the vin was on my car when I went to get insurance. They looked at me weird when I popped the hood to show the vin… Anyways best advice is get on the horn and make a few phone calls. Spend an afternoon and call around. I know Lots of skyline owners are with ‘Lant’ and some with State Farm

Check out Gtrcanada.com if you can’t find the answers to your questions on this forum. This is, after all, a 240 forum…

lots of RHD cars on here.

there is some information on this in the FAQ section.

the search function isnt properly indexed for some of the older posts.

Private brokers quoted me 500 a month on a RHD 240, called basically any close to my area, it was either a solid no, or a ridiculously high price around 500 -600 a month.

Switch to state farm, insure a car for a year ( ex. your s13) with a clean record and then state farm will insure a RHD under the same policy. Might be pricy, so call and talk to them before making the switch.

And if i were me i’d be calling people that do “high risk” insurance, they’ll probably be able to help you a little better than a regular broker.

statefarm was brutal on my truck, but I do have my dirtbike and jet ski with them for over a year. I made honor roll this year and they said that’d bring my quote down some. Right now with bel air I’m at $296 a month on my 240 and $235 on my dakota. May switch over to state farm after I get my G in may.

State farm wouldn’t insure my RHD Celica even after having my jeep with them for 2 years with a clean record. So what’re you sayin’ pat?

I’m insured by StateFarm under my parents. I’m 22. They made sure to tell me that the only reason they would insure me is because my parents have their home and another car insured by them. Otherwise they wouldn’t even look at it.

I’m paying around $300 with good student discount, multi-line discount, and a bunch of other discounts. Also have a 15km/h over ticket.

They’re going to inspect your car prior to insuring you so make sure you can get it looking as stock as possible.

So first off, I’m 18 years old. I’ve heard that RHD cars fall under collectors cars in which case I have to be 25 years old or have 5 years experience. I have neither, is that true?

I don’t know about RHD cars being classified as collector cars…

Secondly, as an average what could I expect to pay a month on insurance? Ballpark? Anybody here have a cheap quote? I pay $265 on my 240sx right now, so anybody have anything for like $310? I’m not expecting to find anything under $400 a month to be honest but worth a try.

It all depends on a lot of things. I have friends that pay less than $200 for their RHD car. It all depends on your location, car, driving record, etc.

And another question which is sort of random, but I looked into buying a converted skyline but shyed away because it was a complete mess with everything being done by an amateur mechanic. The Vin# would still be classified as a RHD, but would you be able to get it appraised as a LHD and have your insurance company insure it that way? In case that ever comes up again.

Just… No.

just throw some valve sets up with some nice set of cams…put that t88… ride it dirty
free insurance… :smiley:

First off. if you’re just 18 I would forget about getting a Skyline because you wont be able to insure it yourself. insuring it under someone elses name is never a good idea IMO. Add to that the fact that the car would be modified and insurance would drop you if you were to ever get into an accident= high insurance rates for life if not worse.

I got my skyline insured through desjardins when i had it on the road in 2010. It was insured at my house in Brockville Ontario under my own name and under my own policy, i was 25 with a spotless record. and it was $84 a month. When i moved to toronto and bought a Civic they wanted 250 to add the skyline as well. Its been off the road ever since. Now that I have A DD and have a clean record ect ect i will be going with LANT when the time comes to put the car back on the road.

Forget about LHD conversions, Insurance just sees the car as being modified and wont touch it.

Thanks, thats what I figured. Suprised it took that long to get that answer. I’m not particularly into RHD as a DD so thats another thing I don’t want to get. Thanks for the answers guys.

I told you man, RHD jdms don’t have dash vins, its required here.
step 1) Contact Insurance bureau Canada, and some agent will snap pix of your rhd ride and come back few days later with Ontario vins and paste them all over it.
Step 2) Call any insurance company and provide them the vin, tellm its a 240sx and your insured lol.

I believe you, what I meant is one that isn’t converted lol. I don’t like the idea of having a RHD car all that much.

does everything you say make no sense?

duh