rod knock, rebuild?

Well for about a month or so i’ve noticed this cracking sound at around 3k rpm but i thought it was just another thing rattling in my car. Today i took it out for a rip and now its knocking really hard, i push on the throttle and it barely accelerates and when i press the clutch if feels like somethings pushing on it.

Must be rod knock right?

Well I have 2 options.

1. rebuild engine

2)get new sr20det

A new sr20det would cost me around 2500$
How much would rebuilding it cost, replacing the crank, rod and mains.
is it worth it?

Thanks,
Alex

a stock rebuild is usually around $3000 dollars.
my buddy’s cost that much.
you can pick up a used sr for around 1600 with tranny and everything but you can find sr longblocks for usually 700-900 most of the time.

Your buddy got hosed.

My full bottom end build was about 2500. But it could be done depending on the amount of machining and stock ish for 2000 ish.

thanks for the info, i think ill buy a new one before school starts and i might build it over the winter if i have money

i picked up an sr20 long block from autodream for 1300. i think they have one more left

did the engine run low on oil? pull the drain plug and see if theres any shit in the oil. if possable pull the lower oilpan off to check it out…

Oh man this happened to me as soon as I got my 180 2 summers ago. Sorry Tercel Drifter, this really sucks and I so know how it is. If you have the money rebuild your bottom end with forged goodness, and get the head checked out in case fillings found there way around the engine. Autodream FTW. Got a blacktop S13 swapped in from them and now I’m very happy :slight_smile:

I’m going to get a blacktop, the redtop i have is pretty messed well it seized lol. I’m kinda glad this happend. i’ve worked on everything i put into my car like my suspension and working on the turbo but havent done the real engine swap, so it’ll be fun. I’ll also take the old motor apart and prbly part off some parts.