rotted FRAME repair

who here has done frame rot repair what did u do and what u recommend and plz don’t post take it to a shop i wanna know if people have fixed there rusty frames i met one fellow at the niagra 240 meet that said he reapired his frame on his own

Be careful who you listen to about “fixed my frame”

Most people think that if you can’t see the holes … it’s fixed.

I’ve seen a few of these cars through MSSC, with their new owners. Shocked when they find out their “repaired frame” was just bondoed back together and painted over.

Scary poop when they hit a curb and the whole back half of the car disintegrates and the subframe shifts 6 inches.

I really wonder if the shysters making these kinds of quicky repairs to sell rotten cars ever think that they might end up killing someone.

I’ve repaired enough frames, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’d best get someone to tell you how its done – properly.

Some can be saved, some shouldn’t.

I’m 1/2 way done. Originally did a quick patch job as mr200 pointed out, that was shit. My brother-in-law (mainly him) and I started the replacement job and have done the passenger side. It took us about 10-12 hours.

if you have access to a large mig (220v) and metal forming/cutting tools, it really isn’t hard stuff…

it’s the knowledge/skill/experience that makes it easy or hard, and makes the outcome good or bad

over the last several weekends I rebuilt a wheel-well, a rocker panel, and bits of a frame rail, you don’t have to do it all in one go, take your time, prep and seal each section… a couple months like that and you can redo the whole car, then with all the skill and experience you’ll be able to do the next one properly heh