Rules on Pacing for Speeding Tickets

Long story short, some dickhole cop in Buffalo says I was doing 46 in a 30 last night on Elmwood Ave. I know for a fact I wasn’t. After asking for the radar he says “I paced you”.

He was in the intersection of Forest and Elmwood. I never saw him pull out from the intersection, but noticed him come up from behind me while I was stopped at the first Bidwell and Elmwood light, heading south (away from BSU, towards Allen st).

So, lets take a look at that. I saw him at Elmwood and Forest. He came up behind me at Elmwood and Bidwell, where I was stopped. The distance between these two intersections is 1/5 of a mile. I’ve already looked into this.

To travel 1/5th of a mile, going 46 mph would take you 15.6 seconds. Lets just say for the sake of argument… He saw me, and had only 3 seconds to react and make the right turn on Elmwood. That leaves him 12.6 seconds to get to me, by the time I stop. To break “without agression” from going 46 mph, would take the average person I’d say… 7-8 seconds…maybe longer. Leaving him less than only 4-5 seconds to have gotten up to 46 mph, paced me for the required 1/4 mile, and make the decision to pull me over.

I think I have a case. After all, the judge should be using common sense. Right?

Does anyone know what the required amount of time is, or length necessary to clock someone by means of pacing? I was told 1/4 mile, by a Buffalo PO. That’s interested, seeing as how the distance he caught me doing, was only 1/5 of a mile. :wink:

As much as a case you think you might have you will lose. Unless you have video proof, and various other thing to prove without a doubt.

And no I’m not joking.

your gonna get boned in buffalo, chances are you were doing something else stupid if you were not speeding and thats why you got the ticket. I wouldnt try to fight it, you will most likely lose.

Same thing happened to me in Depew…I had pulled out of RacerX’s driveway in my explorer got about 1/4 mile down the road and got pulled over for doing 60 in a 40. Now the Explorer is about a 20sec 1/4 mile ride. And I know I didnt mat the gas. Just pay it and move on.

In all honesty, I am going to show up with an Amherst PO and State Trooper to help make my point. That should sway them.

I want to ask the officer who wrote the ticket, his departments policy on pacing. When he says 1/4 mile, and i make the rebuttle of…well the distance from where you were to where I stopped was only 1/5 of a mile and I bust out a nice map… what is the judge going to say? Nothing? Bullshit. You can’t tell me that he won’t agree with me.

7-8 seconds to stop from 46? OK grandma. Not very realistic.

And yeah, you’re probably right but you’re gonna get boned.

You’d have a case anywhere but Buffalo.

Buffalo judge is simply going to ignore what ever points you make and find you guilty.

tickets in the city SUCK

What is 16 over…points and fine wise? Oh, and another ticket for no front plate.

It’s probably okay though. I have the super secret NYS/Albany way of “even if I get convicted… The points will never show up on my license.” :snky:

i know someone that got pled down in a buffalo court. so good luck.

she was speeding on the 90.

no front plate is $60 . I just payed that in b-lo.

you definetly did your research, but i still think they’re gonna bend ya over and have they’re way with ya…

If you ask for a supporting deposition won’t the cop have to
explain how he clocked you? I’m not sure how that work’s,
the guy’s on here say your screwed you probably are.
That suck’s ,that judge just want’s you to pay into the system.

yea, ask for the supporting deposition anyways…make him work!

Maybe if you’d put the front plate on cops wouldn’t pay so much attention to you. It’s an Accord, not a Ferrari, so just screw the plate to the bumper and be done with it.

I asked for one last night, and he said… “No, you plead no guilty and I’ll show up to court and fucking convict you…fucking asshole”

He also said “fuckhead”, “shitbrain”, “read it fucker”, “fuck you”, “fuck kids like you with your piece of shit cars”, “my fucking city”, “46 fucking miles an hour”, “hands where i can see them”, “the back fucking seat”…and all not in the friendliest of tones.

it wasn’t my accord.

Ok, but I’m going to go out on a limb and assume it wasn’t some exotic that you might be able to argue about installing a front plate, so my point remains the same.

I laugh every time I see a post about police “making stuff up” from someone with no front plate, tints, obnoxiously loud exhaust/stereo or some other pointless attention drawing illegal mod. When you break those laws, laws that are so easy to follow, police do pay a lot more attention to you.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. :tup:

The officer never made anything up…except for me speeding. :lol:
He just came off as hostile, arrogant and downright ignorant. As far as him making up the fact that I was speeding… after reading my first post, isn’t it clearly obvious?