Rust repair costs?

I’m tring to find out if fixing the rust on my car is worth it or not. Anyone who has had any body work done if they could just say how much it was for what they had fixed it would be greatly appreciated .

Whats wrong with my car is there is a hole rusted through on both frame rails at the front. Also my rocker panels are eaten through and some small rust holes in the inner fenders. These areas would all need to be cut out and then replaced with new metal.

I tired calling a body shop but they said they couldn’t tell me anything until they saw the car, but my car isn’t going far without a transmission in it and i don’t want to tow it there just for an estimate.

just for a very rough quote could anyone tell me will this be more or less than a 1000 bucks?

if you do it yourself then less then 1000 by far

if you have it done, more then 1000 for sure

i’m a welder, pm sent

I’m in the same predicament.

learn to weld. and get in good with a metal shop. :slight_smile:

I taught myself to weld over 6 months and have finished all my frame repairs, and they look clean, not factory, but good and strong. Much more fun than paying for it.

Does the rust look a lot like my thread? If so, consider doing it yourself.

I patched both front frame rails in about 3hours. The rocker panels, I’m looking at about 8hours of work.

15 (roughly) hours x $40/hour body man = $600.

However, since they’re doing a professional job, expect well over $1000.

Currently, I’m up to about $98 worth of parts and such to fix my car up the point it’s in.

Consider doing it yourself.

yeah it does look a lot like the pics in your thread. expect my rocker panels are worse as well.

I’ve never welded so i don’t think i could do it on my own. but i’ll probably get some help from someone on the forum.

gotta save the car from becoming another parts bitch

Get yourself a MIG welder,it’s easy to learn and will do a good job.
And you will find many uses for it later.

they taught welding in metal shop when i was in high school, and just cuz you’ve never done it before doesn’t mean you can’t do it yourself. there were plenty of guys in my college autobody course who’ve never even touched a welder before.

pick up an autobody book from your college/university or even the library. worst case, go to a book store like McNally or Chapters and pick up both a welding and an autobody book.

buy a mig welder or rent one, and you’ll thank yourself for taking the time to learn it and do it right.

i would estimate no less than 40 hours for frame repair in a shop. here the rate is $52.50/hour. the shops without a licence still charge almost $40/hour. but they’re more likely to bondo your rails than fix them.

More likely, expanding foam and a piece of fiberglass - Foam to fill the hole, fiberglass to cover their dirty little secret. :oops:

i am taking an auto mechanics course at my highschool right now and i am learning how to mig weld and weld with acetylin tanks and stuff. its not that hard when you get used to it.

I really would like to learn the skill, to bad my highschool was small and we didn’t have good courses were i could have learned a bit.

how much would renting a mig be though? and were would be a good place to get it, home depot?

Buying the welder wouldn’t be doable right now, just not enough spending money around for that.

If renting one for a weekend isn’t to bad then i will consider trying it out.

can welders cut too? ( i hope thats not to stupid a question) or will i have to rent a seperate plasma cutter as well?

if you do not know that answer to that I would not try to fix your car your self, for your own safty I mean!

hit a Stephensons Rent All

1st weekend

Get an air compressor, and a few air tools - grinder, cut off wheel, etc and a bunch of discs/pads. Rental fee for a weekend really shouldn’t be expensive at all.

Grind ALL the rot.

Buy all the steel you need to make repairs (u-gouge to sleeve the rails, plate to patch holes)

Cut everything to fit

2nd weekend (read books, learn learn learn, there’s welding for dummies or something like it. Get someone who knows what they’re doing to come help you)

Rent welder, weld in plates/u gouge.

Not too expensive, and you’ll learn a lot.

Ugly welds will still hold, and they’ll be under the car where no one will see them.

well i was pretty sure a welder couldn’t cut, just no one had said anything about me needing to get something to cut as well so i figuered i would ask since i do know nothing.

Renting the air compressor sounds like a good idea. I can do that on my own.

For cutting out the rusted area’s i see mr200 mentioned a cut off wheel. Is that what will give me the cleanest cuts on the body panels and the frame rails?

I was also hoping someone might have some pictures of what there frame rails look like after having them fixed. I understand how to do it with the U-gouge but it would be helpfull to see what it looks like welded to the frame.