RWD cars with independant rear ends?

So, I aquired some freebies over the last few weeks that are making me itch to start working on my Caterham/Locost project again (Lotus Super7 replica)…and I’d like to start looking through M&M u-pull it for IRS rear ends…I’ve aquired a t5 transmission for the ford 2.3 4cyl and want to pair it with an IRS instead of a straight axle.

Ones I know of so far off top of my head:

-240sx
-rx7
-miata
-merkur Xr4ti
-starion/conquest

I’m looking to get a list together of cars to watch for at M&M so I can snag a complete rear subframe/brakes/diff/axles for ultra cheap. The cars I’ve listed above are damn near impossible to find there…so any other ideas? what’s up with older BMW’s? I send to see some late 80’s-early90’s bimmers there once in a while…

EDIT: LSD would be a MAJOR desire as well…

subarus?
maybe some trucks? (allows variations in ratios)
seen a couple dsm awds there too lately

The older J series Infintis

I think older BMW could have some potential. rear Sub-frame holds practically all the suspension and differential. Bolts to chassis with 3 bolts

http://www.bmpdesign.com/images/cars/e21_320i/subframe3.jpg

BMW rear ends are independent, the e36 rear would be decent, lsds are easy to find, there is currently a 318 e36 5spd in row 4 at m&m, which should have a 3.45 rear. The only challenge might be to mount the trailing arms.

As you mentioned, the 240sx, might be your best option because all the mounting arms are connected to the rear subframe, it has great geometry, comes with 4.083 ratio, has discs and it can be converted to 5x114.3 if its a 4 lug

I would say the 8.8" Ford IRS woul be a great option
T-birds, Cougars, Some stangs

Looking at the tag on the diff will tell you if LSD is inside

Last one I got from skyway was maybe $100 with axles and LSD inside. Parts are plentiful and cheap and the diffs when mounted properly are quite durable.

yeah, E30 would be a super easy bolt in because of how few attachment points.

I would probably do what cougarspeed suggested its one of the stronger choices

240sx shouldn’t be too hard to find…

what should I be looking for on the tag for LSD? this would be ideal. I orginally wanted to grab a whole turbocoupe thunderbird for a donor, but since I’ve scored some freebies it may make more sense to piece the car together at this point…

How big/heavy is Ford 8.8 vs something out of say a Miata?

I ask because one of the major points of a Locost is to build a super lightweight car… a car that dropping a rear end designed for a V8/3000lb car into might be overkill.

A quick search found this: Ford 8.8: Weight (complete assembly w/ brakes etc.): 174 lb.

Ford makes a 7.5, referred to as 8" that is probably more than enough for a 1500lb target weight car.

You would have to google it. I honestly don’t remember off the top of my head. You can determine gear ratio as well IIRC.

If you were worried about weight certain mustangs have cast alum housings I believe. But I could be wrong. Its been a few years since I looked into all of this.

Pretty sure Mingle has something laying around his garage that would work.

Consider this thread also a Want To Buy lol. looking for cheap shit!

Honestly just buy a used old beater Miata. Perfect candidate for Caterham.

What happened to that $1600 one on craigslist? lol

it’s a fucking pile. I want to spend less than $1000 on a donor, or piece together what I need for less.

blowneuros just posted this on fb

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564676_563893966974777_1362572199_n.jpg

I recall seeing multiple RX7s at Skyway, saw at least one T-Bird Turbocoupe out there as well.

Yeah, an E36 and (i think) 2 E30s at M&M.

Skyway easily has far more selection. many, many BMWs there. a few Fox bodies as well, but they looked like 4 cyl models.

All you need is motor and chassis.

And you can sell Miata hard tops for $600-$1300 depending on condition. You can also part out Miatas and get 3x as much back lol Buy $1600 beater, sell hard top for $900, use motor and suspension, sell everything else. Profit.

If there weren’t already 2 Miatas in my garage, that $1600 one would be mine just because.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

this picture is awesome. Id like to shake the guys hand who owns these. He knows whats up.

this. cobras and lincoln mark viii’s had aluminum 8.8’s but the mark 8’s didn’t come with an lsd. they aren’t hard to put in though.