S13 black top vs red top

OK guys i searched for some info on this, sorry this has prolly been covered like a million times.

I just want to know what are the differences between these 2 motors? Is there a benifit going one or the other? I already have an SR swapped in, red top , im just thinking about swapping in a black top, but they are more money when you look at the prices. i was just wondering if this would still just bolt right in and plug right in to the wiring thats already been done. and if it does is it worth the extra amount of money that i will be paying for it?

thanks guys

Drew

Black top is newer, so less mileage. . . :E

learn quickly you do hmmm??

black top’s will most likely come with the bigger turbo too… t28
im a ca guy so correct me if im wrong?

the differences…
The Blacktop is newer.
The Blacktop has minor ECU changes.
The Blacktop has minor finishing differences.

i think only the s14 blacktops with the notched valve cover do, s15’s as well

Correct.

So with the Black top i wouldn’t be able to just plug it in to my already wired Red top chassis?

You can if it’s an S13 blacktop.

I just found out a couple weeks ago that mine is S13 blacktop (it’s got the little fin things on the head). But it has a red valve cover. :?

no you can not^^^

thibnk of it as series 1 red top and 180 black top then you have series 2 notch tops. The wiring is compleatly different than a S13 red and black top. More work to do everywhere. The harnesses in the car for the notch tops look like a R33 wiring harness. I have not done this wiring fully but I do know there is much more work to do and not worth the time. Stick with your S13 red top and slap a turbo on.

Umm… no. A friend wrecked his redtop, and swapped in an S13 blacktop. Everything plugged in and fired right up. Runs no problem.

and you’re still SLOW!!! :finga:

Depends there was the typeX black top and the regular one.

And Louis, Some red-tops came with the fines in the front. You have to check the casting number in nissan FAST. I have a 97 blacktop head but a red-top block.

I’ve done the same thing. S13 180sx black top run with redtop ecu. works fine.

As mentioned S14/15 blacktop motors are a bit different and will not work without wiring modifications.

^ i was given a j4 ecu blacktop with my engine i believe, did not work and that was the reason my car wouldn’t start, traded the j4 for a 62 and it was all good

wow this is getting all to comfusing, It looks like im just going to go with the Redtop, all i need is to find one for a decent price, stupid Fast and furious drifting craze, seriously where are the deals for the people who have been into drifting and sport compact tuning before it hit the main stream?

no no I know S13 black top will swap over. They are very simmilar engines. I think the black top has like 5 more HP though not sure exactly why but I was refering to the S13 red top and black top being different than the notch top’s is all. common sence really.

So what i have read has been that the Black top is a high port head and the Red top a low port, but everything else is the same?

could be somthing like that. I thaught it could have been the cams aswell but none the less its not much power to make any difference. The more money you would spens on a S13 black top could have just gone into a boost controller and makes you go faster then the S13 black top anywho. Just my opinion. Plus the early S13 red tops look more sexy without those grooves in the cyl head

someone also told me the turbo was bigger on the S13 black top. I think thats it but maby I was missinformed. I just remembered as I re-read what I posted.