S13 dilemma!

So my 91 is sitting in my mom’s garage and she wants it gone, because I am in school this summer and next fall I don’t really have anywhere else to put it. Now the bigger problem is because the frame rails are shit I can’t get it safetyed and on the road, if I could get it safetyed then I would just bite the bullet and pay for a parking pass while in school and have it here with me.
I really don’t want to sell it, but it’s starting to look that way. I would get the frame rails replaced but I simply don’t have the money to properly repair them right now.
What is the most cost effective way to repair the rails without sending the alignment way off. I would love to do it properly (completely replacing them) but I simply don’t have the money and I really don’t want to sell my baby.

So does anyone know where I can get my FR boxed or patched up (preferably around Burlington/Hamilton/Oakville) so it would pass safety? Does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost (thats the big question)?
I know the expression ‘do it right, or do it twice’ applies here, but I will have much more money to spend on my car once I’m finished school.

Ask Mark (.white240.)… I’m sure Union can do it up for you at a reasonable price.

Fake safety…

Not but actually; There are a number of people on here that would be able to do it for you.

Do what Stiky says.

JB WELD! lol

“Fake safety…”
no one does those anymore, to risky I guess…

do you think i would only need to cover the holes up with new medal in order to pass safety?

sheetmetal aroend the holes and bondoglass over that, as long as you dont have major structural holes that is

your giving terrible advice unless you’re saying fix it properly. i was naive once. Mark at union will show you whats what.

if the kid needs a quick cert and has very little cash that will work for him…we dont all have tons of cash…there is no question it needs to be a proper repair but understand his immediate delima…if i lived near him i would fix it for him…will u help maybe you are closer and need to enjoy the gift of charity

honestly if you cant afford to own a car and drive it safely maybe you shouldnt be owning a car? In the end its his decision just offered my 2 cents. He can put it on the road and as long as it doenst look like it’ll fall apart at 40kmph then no one will be the wiser.

I agree Cal.

the only reason that I have to get it cert now is because my mom wants it out of her house.
I was going to keep it there till next summer when I graduate and get a real job and can get it fixed properly but that is not an option.
I just need to have the car at school with me for one more year and then im good.

i will get in contact with this Mark man, thanks guys

Sell it. Seriously. It’s just sitting there, doing nothing right? It’s a rusted out piece if shit, no? You are going to be in a position to make some proper cash in a year? Why do you want to hang onto a rusted pos and spend more money to fix it up when you will actually have a proper job in the near future and be able to buy a cleaner 240, or a 180/ Silvia K, or perhaps an FD, S2K, GTR, etc. Why even bother with the rusted car? It just doesn’t make sense IMO. Sell it, graduate, make baller cash and buy a clean ride and make it baller. IMO it’s like marrying an ugly tramp and spending a ton of $$$ on making her pretty when you could just ditch the tramp and get a pretty girl to begin with.

^ +1

but shes my tramp…

but seriously though, the car is in pretty good shape, no rust on the body and the interior is mint.
its just the frame rails that are shit, something 90% of canadian 240 have problems with.

lol. 90% of the 90% of canadian 240s on the road should be off of it. just cause everyone who owns one has bad frame rails doesnt make it right, safe or any better than one with a good body.

In the end, fuck everyone else and do what you want. You asked for advice so either take it or ignore it.

True, but it’s more then just a car. Maybe there’s a deep back story to it, and the whole reason why he doesn’t want to give it up. I am in/was in the exact same situation, and ended up getting rid of a clean chassis for a shittier one. Regardless, I found/am finding ways to make shit work. As long as you’ve got the confidence and drive to do shit, it will be done. Weither it’s done right or wrong is his decision.

As for the rails/body, just rent a Mig welder (practice on scrap metal first to get the hang of it, and make sure your welds penetrate right through to the other side), get some sheet metal, a grinder, fiberglass body filler (the one with long strands), and truck bedliner. Grind/cut away rust, weld sheet metal, fiberglass the worked on area, then apply bedliner. This will be the most cost effective approach for the time being until you’ve got more money to spend on new rails, not to mention you did all the work yourself.

I’m no pro, im just a crazy mafucka getting shit doneskii’s

• Hacknik :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Cal-SoY;2301169]lol. 90% of the 90% QUOTE]

would that equal out to 80%? i think it would?

lol, 60% of the time, it works everytime, hahaha

$400…

I need a winter beater.

^^ best gif EVER.

Lol no joke, who is she?

for educational purposes of course…