S13 front brake conversion

Hey

Looking for some info from someone who has done this already–

-converting my stock 4 lug S13 front brakes to 5 lug and 30mm Z32 caliper /rotor

• do I need S14 balljoints to make this work? also anything else to complete this?

thanks John

yes, you need the S14 ball joints and also you need the sleeves for the two bolts that hold your shocks to the upright. You can actually make those yourself, or you can just widen the holes on the bracket of the shock and use S14 bolts.

If you use S14 5 lug hubs then like said above, you need the S14 spindle which will require the S14 balljoint (in the S13 control arm) and the sleeves for the bolts that go into the shock.

If you use a conversion hub like Ichiba then you don’t need any of that stuff. All you need is to unbolt the old hub, bolt the new one on and your good to go.

The brakes are 100% bolt on if you have the conversion brake lines.

easier to have your Z32 rotors redrilled to 8 hole, 5+4 with 1 common.

But better rim selection with 5 bolt. And “safer” since you have an extra bolt. loll

how much “safer” are 5 bolts compared to 4 bolts??

hahaha best post.

What I find funny about this “better” 5 bolt rim selection thing is that half of the cars that I saw at the bing’s meet with 5 bolt conversions had some of the ugliest wheels i have ever seen.

It’s like a girl spending $200 to get her hair done for prom but she wears her tim hortons uniform to the prom.

Luckily, when I’m ganna come to a meet, I’ll be rocking 5 bolt perfection. :slight_smile:

yes and no, ARP long studs “rolled metal” are (AND I’M speculating ) at least 20% stronger than cheapo nissan stockers…

As for selection… its preference more than anything…

Volk makes some great 4 bolt ish… the money saved on hubs is better spent on quality rubber or rims…

Its actually 5+3 with 1 common :wink:

+1

It’s easy to drill out the rotors yourself if you choose to go that route.

rim selection is the main thing with going 5 bolt. if you’re going to go through the trouble of doing the whole brake conversion you may as well go 5. you may regret it if you don’t.

with all the s chassis aftermarket support these days i would say dont bother messing with the ARP and rusted used 5 bolt parts. get some ichiba conversion hubs and you’re golden.

the rim arguement is true if you’re in to buying the new shizzle. However, once you’ve gone 5 bolt the list of used rims is substantial. rx7, g35, etc they all run on the same bolt pattern. youd be able to find a pretty sick set of dished 5 bolts for less than what those one off 4 lugger volks would cost you. Plus you’d have no problems getting back what you paid for them once you’re ready to change your shoes.

if in the end you still decide to stay with your 4 lug. i have some rotors that are already drilled to the “5+3” i can swap you for the 5 lug ones you have or will get. dimpled slotted and drilled blah blah blah of course.

dude 5+4 1 common = 8… splitting hairs here.

but I see your 5 + 3 (new holes), 1 common, you get the idea, 8 holes in the end.

thats right, I want your rims…