s13 Interior upholstery questions...

Hey guys,

The last owner of my car didnt take too much care of the interior but I have managed to restore the dash and panelling with Meguiars for the few months I have had my car.

My problem is the upholstery. This thing needs to be cleaned as well as the carpets. I am fairly sure I can take things apart for the back seats and the front seats. I plan on tossing all that into a washing machine. My problem is the carpet. Anyone have experience with taking this thing apart cleaning it and replacing it? Any important advice before I undertake this project Saturday?

I have searched the forums and there is not much posts abotu this stuff. apparently no one goes the DIY route. If not where do you go to get your stuff done.

-t

all i will say is dont try to take the seat covers off unless you are some pro interior guy lol. you will just end up breaking the cover clips and also if the covers shrink at all from the cleaning you will be s.o.l. Take the seats out and rent a steam cleaner.

Thanks for the encouragement. … :roll:

ok sarcasm aside, is it that hard to just take out the upholstery and put it back on?
The back seats look so easy and the front ones have zips. How hard could it be?

I tried to take the front seat upholestery off by unzipping the zippers. It didnt do much. I have the one piece seats and I think the plastic ring in the headrest must come off, but I didnt get that far.

the ring is held in by four clips… i took my entire carpet out to clean if before, i used a shop vac for the dirt and used a cleaning solution with a cloth for the discoloration, it came out nice

I wouldnt try to take apart the front interior from the seats. Just pull out all parts of your internet and steam clean it like “S14_240sx” said.

Rent one, or buy one new. If you get buy one you will be able to clean carpets regularly with a good clean after effect.

I guess its just safer not ripping apart everything. I will take out the seats and steam clean them and then steam clean the carpets.

I called up a friend of mine who wants to do his maxima so we are splitting the cost of renting the steam machine and everything else. It doesn’t work up to that much if you have a couple people doing it on one day. Its the easiest/cheapest solution.