S14 Race Car Update

nice to see some t clamps in there sasha…

as well that bracket will most likely break and will in turn most likely put a hole it your pipe.

GT

if you want to use that bracket tho… get a sway car endlink bushing and use that instead of that metal spacer.

GT

Using solid motor mounts Sasha? That would cut back on the chances of that bracket being an issue, no?

I think we should take bets on whether or not the bracket will break. if it does break i will be impressed

if it doesnt break ill make money

i say 50$ it wont break, dont forget I have a HUGE silicone 90degree rubber elbow that can EASILLY flex more than my motor will EVER move

Solid motor mounts? :smiley:

nismos, i might go solid next year

Are you going to make them? or buy them?

I say dremel out as much of the mounts as you can and get some high quality poly and fill them, there’s different hardness’ you can get, you’ll obviously want the hardcore stuff. This is how my motor and tranny mounts are made and the motor has barly any movement, maybe a couple mm’s.

Yeah John mixed a nice batch eh?

that was something i meant to do while the motor was out of the car. I totally forgot to do it. Either way the nismo mounts are quite stiff and next year when i do some insano stuff i’ll hardmount the engine, right now i do need to make a solid or very stiff transmission mount though, as i just realized that i totally ripped mine

You making it or buying it…

hey Bob actually my mounts werent from the batch your thinking of, we did mine later on, it was from a different grade poly.

making it

$50 on the bracket not breaking. Because unlike some of you who say it will, I’ve done lab tests
to prove so. :hsugh:

I really like the bracket holding the two pipes in place. Defintely good. :cool:
Is it done on every coupled joint?

Is that heat wrap on the hot pipe (at the first 90-deg bend from the turbo outlet)?

Sasha, do you want to reduce the horizontal movement of the hot pipe? Or both horizontal and vertical movement?

Yeah I when he gave us the 3 different grades. The top grade was seriously hard. Like beyond frozen hockey puck hard.

Ok, best of luck…

yep the hotpipe is wrapped to keep the hot air radiating off of the header from heating hte hot pipe, and then the heat wrap ends right about where im guessing ambient air will be cooler than the hotpipe air.

the bracket is to restrict horizontal movement.

g its only on that joint because thats the only joint I’ve ever had any problems with, the big issue is that the hotpipe was so loose before and could move around so much, so with movement and pressure it slowly slipped out. after putting a larger bead on the pipe and filing the metal to give the coupler a better bite on the metal I haven’t had a problem. T-bolts helped me get a tighter grip on the pipe as well (although I wish they made narrower t-bolt clamps so that I could bite like a worm gear clamp but with the pressure of a tbolt)

now both the movement, and ability to slip out have been totally removed, and with a heavilly beaded pipe and the tbolts on both sides I doubt i will have a problem. If I do I bet it will be from somewhere else. I"ll have to test the car at 20psi and find out if anything is moving around. I can’t see it but weird stuff happens all the time

Damn, wish I had a pic that wasn’t 50+MB. I have no way to reduce it either … but Vibrant makes these baller weld on connectors.

Check Modified’s March issue to see them.

Basically you weld tabs to each pipe end, and attach them both together with a threaded rod.

So even though your couplers are there to keep it sealed, the bar prevents any efforts to separate.

Should be easy to replicate.

And considering that brace is thicker than pretty much any other metal on the car, I’d assume it wouldn’t break.

Nissan tranny mounts are disgusting. I swear they tear if you even look at them sideways.

But it’s very easy to take out the rubber, and just use an aluminum or delrin block. I think MMR still sells them for pretty cheap.

http://www.mmr-direct.com/Pictures/S12/Mounts/transmounts12.gif

sasha i been loooking over your pics for like a half hour here at work… you might be one of the sikkest kids around right now…

might be… if you street it, then you WOULD be

muaahhaaha