S14KA24DE won't start possibly starter?

Hey guys.
So today I went to the shop and just changed tires and brake fluid.
When the tech was going for a test drive and he started it sounded bad not sure how to describe it, sort of like a grinding on ignition. Drove home, driving felt fine.

Parked it at home, like 7 hours later I go to park the car for the night, same noise :S so I drove around the block, felt normal parked it in the garage turned the car off. Then I tried starting it again same noise, except this time engine didn’t turn over.

Sounds like the starter to me, but I’m no mechanic…
I can’t move the car either cause it won’t start so if someone could come check it out or something before I have to play the “tow back and forth” game…

this could be an excuse for an engine swap LOL…trying to be optimistic…
Will record sound on request but … I’d rather not try to push the car into more hell yet.

If the battery is low the starter can make some pretty bad noises, try either boosting the car or charging your battery before starting.

If it is the starter, its an easy part to change vs doing a motor swap.

thanks!
I think my battery is ok, everything is getting power.

If its stick u can bump start it vs damn tow truck. Not sure if the starter is done bump start will still work though. No mechanic myself.

I read you can just knock on the starter the same way you would an old TV, I’ll try that tommrow but the grinding noise doesn’t sound too good. I’m just afraid I won’t be able to get it back in the garage if I try to bump start it…my driveway is somewhat steep. being lowered doesn’t help.

starts 1/4 of the time…

Honestly the easiest thing to do is pull the starter and get it tested/swap in one you know works

no space at home to jack up the car. I normally would do my stuff in my friend’s garage.
Tried jumping it, no luck. multi-meter to the battery read 12V

I can drag my 91 like a suitcase with wheels. You will be fine unless its like 80 degrees steep or somethin.

poked at the starter with hockey stick, nothing.

thats becuase its a hockey stick, use a screwdriver or hammer, something with an insulated handle or you will get shocked

use a hammer, i used a baseball bat for 3 weeks until i could afford a starter…or bump start the car…it sounds like either the starter or the starter solenoid.

i bumped started my car for a month to work and back not too bad…the grinding sound could be an issue where your starter is staying on which has happene to me before…

This is probably a stupid question(I’ve been looking up bump starting) but I’ll be able to bumpstart with a dead starter right? I don’t have a dead battery or alternator (as far I know)

I would just turn the key ahead. Not to turn it over just before that. I have never bumped my 240 but have a buddy push as fast as u can and pop the clutch in 2nd gear ( usually ). Easy peazy. The wheels turning make the engine chug and spark on its own. Wouldnt go far till you make sure its not the alternator though. I think it will run off the battery and be done fairly quick if thats the case. I dont know shit but im a newfie and i bump started alot of rigs.

yea…push to a good speed then dump the clutch…should startt to want to chug on

Same f’n thing just happened to me tonight when i left work to go home. What was the best deal u found on a starter?

My s14 wouldn’t start, then a buddy told me to make sure i unlocked the door with the key, So i unlocked the door with the key and sure enough it started

Shit im gonna go try that right now and its cold out

LOL WTF door unlock really?

I think sharpe_corners had one, I don’t remember how much though.