sad how many people at the apartments dont use encryption on their routers. (rant)...

i live at allegheny center, building 8 along with a number of other art institute students…

so recently ive been asked 4 times to set up an encryption on friends wireless networks, because too many people use it.

i just find it hilarious because 90% of the time they havent changed the login for the router login, let alone change the password to the wireless net itself. its still set as default, and i connect with no problem.

maybe im being insensitive because some people dont know, but even the directions are simple to follow to set up a simple 8 character password,even if you dont change the router login, and do it that way.

that is all…

And u felt the need to post this y?

typical.

dude i work for billion dollar corporations that have their external routes service account still set to the default cisco password :doh:

and i’ve seen more than not, local admin accounts with no password.

this world is filled with idiots.

:boink

is there a way to see if some 1 is using ur net ?

and you felt like posting this because…?

is there a way to see if some 1 is using ur net ?

Network intrusion detection software.

LOL

Wireshark

any more info on this ?

:dunno: wireshark.org

LOL

chris, it’s a program that sees if someone is using your interweb. its’ a network ‘sniffer’… :slight_smile:

:doh: that’s what he was after. my bad.

I feel bad you live at alleghetto.

I thought internet was free at the Center though. I never lived there but I thought that was one of the reason’s for the rent increase.

Again I feel bad for you that your paying an arm & leg for shitty housing in a shitty part of the neighborhood.

so if you have wireless internet, anyone can see what your doing on the net and possibly steal info unless you encrypt the router? (i dont know much about computers)

ya thats what i was tryin to find out, cuz i wanna see if any1 got mine

:kiss:

X3

thats why is a rant, sorry if u felt like u wasted your time…

it is kinda horrible, shitty ass housing, and the price is outrageous… we do have internet but its slow as balls considering 98% of the apartments has atleast one computer thats using the internet…

the day i moved in, no one had the internet set up besides me, and i was downlading at 9978kbs and upload at 4600kbs… now i barely break 2300 d/l and not even 300kb u/l…

I’d advise getting some roommates and renting a house. Certain parts of oakland are really nice but your going to pay alot for rent, but you have like 90% of the busses that run to that side of town go through oakland.

My brother rented out a place on forbes right above vocelli’s and when he would have to be downtown he’d leave like 5-10mins before he had to be down there.

you can also check the settings on your routers dhcp tables as most of the time they will log IP’s and computer names of those accessing your network.