wireless internet questions... Plus basic cable questions...

yeah, so I just moved into my new place (a HUGE apartment complex) and dont yet have internet access (nor can I afford it at the moment).

now, my question is… how much range does a wireless signal reach? Not that I technically want to steal someone elses internet per say, but we have an internet center there with wireless but it’s a few buildings away from mine and it’s only open until like 7:00 pm (which blows).

Just wondering if I could get access to that signal with a wireless NIC card and what I need to do to test the signal (to see if I can get it).

thanks.

oh yeah, also… I got basic cable with my apartment (everyone does, but it’s an extra 40.00 a month). I remember someone once telling me that it’s stupid to do that and something as easy as flipping a switch or something on your own to get access to it. Anyone know anything about that? lol

no, I’m not cheep… but money is very tight at the moment.

In a complex like that you should be able to pick up someone’s signal. Hopefully some aren’t password protected. I know at drugdealer’s apt. hes got access to several.

Windows will tell you if you can access those sources. If you try to connect to one and it asks for a password, move to the next strongest signal and try again.

I think I read that wireless routers have a range of like 300 ft in perfect conditions i.e. nothing blocking them like walls or channel interruptions.

awesome… do you know what I have to look for to check what signals are avalible? or does it do it automatically when I throw a wireless NIC card in the machine (under networks?)?

Assuming you have XP it should pick up the card and load the drivers pretty easily. Then you just got to “network connections” and and you will see your wireless NIC. You might have to tweek some settings such as allowing it to connect to an unsecure server or something like that. But if there is a signal out there it will know.

cool, thanks man :tup:

FYI - it’s highly illegal to gain access to someones wireless network, protected or not.

That said, if someone doesn’t know how to hide their network, they won’t know how to figure out you are on it anyway. Well, at least until you start printing out goatse on their printer at 4am.

definitely worth the small investment of a wi-fi card. if you don’t have anything to pick up, return the card. radio shack is real easy on returns with those. just go there and grab a card for 50 or 60 and you’re golden. i save myself 50 bucks a month with my wi-fi card. it’s not just that i don’t have the money, i’m also cheap. :lol:

I see… kind of figured that.

one question though… purely speculation though lol

say I did get access to someones wireless (or my complex’s). I’d be assigned to the same IP address they’re using, right? And being that it’s wireless… is it really possible to track to see whos leaching off of it (minus info gathered from the leechers computer such as serial numbers/product codes/ect… if they were even monitering for that kind of stuff)

No, you would not have the same IP.

Yes, it is possible.

You can see how many computers are using your wireless connection. I have a D-link router and I share the connection with the people upstairs and between the 3 laptops in my apartment. I can go in a check to see who is using the connection at any given time.

As far as snooping on other’s computers, I don’t know how to do that and I wouldn’t do it anyway.

no no no lol… not go snooping on anyones computer. I think you mis understood… is there a way to ID someone using your network? So say I got access to someones network, could they ID me? Or would it have to be the type of thing where they’d have to wait until I got on then monitor me (or check my PC’s name or whatever)

Yes, all data transmissions contain your MAC address, which is a hardware address built into your NIC.

yeah they could view your MAC and computer name in the DHCP client table… if they’re smart enough. but if they have an unsecured wireless connection i’m going to draw the conclusion that they aren’t…

btw if you’re going to USE it, don’t ABUSE it. that way they aren’t suspicious as to why they can’t get onto their home and garden website or whatever it is lame people do. you don’t need them calling up a computer savy friend to help them out. if you’re planning on dling torrents, make sure you run a test @ testmy.net and configure the up and down stream bandwidth speeds accordingly. can i say that?.. if not just delete it. :smiley:

Also another major point, if the computer is assigned a networking name that has like oh say… you’re name in it you might want to change that. Just thought I’d point that out.

I’m the only one runnin unsecured internet in my neighborhood.

im currentrl rocking this :

name: A
company: B
network name: C

we have to get security setup over here … i have no clue how yet …

mine’s unsecured. But given the neighborhood, I don’t think there are a lot of computers trying to get on my connection.

your going to be sorley dissapointed downloading torrents from wireless, i dont care if its G either, its just not fast.

So true.