Wireless Interent

Okay ppl, I need some help. I am putting a Laptop in my car for GPS Use and I want to be able to Skiptrace in the car when I do Repo’s and shit… I wanted to know How I get it to use wireless internet so that no matter where I am, I’ll have a signal? Anyone wanna give me some advice on this?

verizon has a wireless service for laptops. its expensive and in your area, it will be slow as balls

maybe upgrade your cell phone to unlimited data transfer (or what ever its called) and get a data cable ?

I have an i600, my work pays for my voice plan + $44 for unlimited data, tethering the phone to the laptop i get 200kpbs which is fine for webrowsing and the occasional download…

yeah I would need web browsing for sure being when i have to skiptrace we use a Website for it.

you can drive around and look for wireless folks in the area and steal theyre service.

Most all new laptops look for the SSID automatically, so just drive around till u find one. Most people do not know how to lock down a wireless network, so you might get lucky. If not you have to get that service from verizon.

I know TMobile and AT&T Had them for awhile…

wireless card from verizon. prolly the only way to go if u need internet available everywhere.

if u have a phone with them already you can just get unlimited data and a cable, as zwarbyt said earlier.

I have sprint as a Cell service! OMG, I bought this Earthmate GPS program for the Laptop! Its freaking awsome as hell! It speaks and everything, tells ya your MPH. Its awsome!

almost all GPS software speaks now, its the POIs that can suck balls

Okay I wrote top spint and this is the reply i got.

“”""""""""""Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel regarding
connection card for your account.

Please understand that your phone is not designed for use with the
laptop.

However, we offer a data card to access the web from your ‘Personal
Computing Device’ from anywhere within Nationwide PCS network.

A data card is a device that allows you to connect a laptop or personal
computing device to Sprint network. Data cards can be data only or data
and voice. Data cards are also commonly referred to as Wireless Web
Modems, Network Cards, or Air Cards.

You can view our data cards by clicking on the hyperlink given below:

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/ConnectionCards.jsp

Thank you for contacting us, and we look forward to serving you.
“”"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

My question is, When I looked at these cards, they look like just plan ol’ wireless cards that I would use for my wireless router. Thats not what I want!

I want the Laptop to receive a signal no matter where i am! for example If i were to drive to florida , I’d want to have a signal all the way there! What devices do i need for this?

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/en/solutions/embedded_solutions/im240.shtml

Okay yeah, looks the same as i just posted, But it seems as if this is what Im looking for possibly. Im gonna go to sprint today to see if I can do this

looks maybe but its very different. What you posted are wifi cards … your pc might have that shit built in already. You need a actual modem card. The thing is just like getting a second phone on your plan. It will probably have its own phone number. Unlimited data is $45 a month on top of your regular plan but the data is UNLIMITED.
These fuckers cost about $200 tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-im240-Wireless-Modem-Internet-Card-iDen_W0QQitemZ6813727153QQcategoryZ74954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

damn am i good

I went to sprint today, The card is $250. and the service is $80. unlimited access which is kewl for me I guess. But the fucked up party is I’m only aloud two phones on my account thus I can’t add a third for internet service And I don’t have the credit to open a 2nd account for that thus I’m screwed going that route! any ideas anyone???

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/phones/aircard580_connectionCards.jsp

Careful doing this… if you get caught… you get in big big trouble.

you could always connect your phone to your laptop, but if you get caught doing that, they charge big bucks…

they said my phone isn’t designed for this. Plus I only have 800 minutes on my plan thus I’d need Unlimited use as my computer in the car is ALWAYS on!

lol. dude just cause ur computer is always on doesnt mean you always need a connection. if you have vision on your plan, and you can get a data cable, you will most likely be able to tether it to your laptop

what kind of phone do you have

and i wouldnt use this all that much, as some people have gotten big fines from doing this from sprint once they notice a decent jump in useage.

Well honestly I’d much rather just pay for this Service that is Unlimited. It saves alot of headach’s from gettin fined and paying these crazy over rated fee’s they charge for all this sensless crap. So just pay the charge and get it over with! I just wishg i could save some money in the process cause $250 for the card and $80. a month is kinda high for interweb access. Ontop of my $115 cell phone bill i already have and $60. internet access that I pay for already, Thats just a big bill! But if has to be, It has to be!