SAE team guys, and anyone else - suspension design software ?

personal project, so i would greatly prefer something free

anone have something capable of analyzing a dual a-arm front suspension for proper suspension geometry ?

SusProg3D

Never tried it, its free though. It might be able to do what you want.

http://www.susprog.com/index.htm

got it :tup:

looks like i have a good bit of info to plug in, should be fun

started plugging stuff in … then found a tutorial for susprog3d…

and realized it said this:

You will need a registered copy of SusProg3D, version 4.70a (or later).
The demo version of SusProg3D cannot be used for this tutorial because it does not allow for changing the upright and wheel dimensions.

which keeps me from entering my knuckle measurements, and since i have 15" wheels, that will screw up the calculations also … fuck

anyone else have ideas ?

Buy the program? :gotme:

^^^that would sorta eat the entire project budget …

Get some sponsors :wink:

Seriously, do you really think someone is going to make software for designing something as complex as suspension, and just give it away?

There are probably books out there that would show you how to calculate manually. Try checking the Buffalo library.

i already had one “sponsor” on this car :rofl:

and no i dont, hence why i asked the SAE guys, and didnt specificly use the words “free program”

i used to have the book Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams … of course now that i realy need its missing, ill have to see if i can get it from the li-barry

shit i need to get down with sae. step my game up. y’all still recruitin?

Coldaccord:

If your ass isnt too busy this semester.

Hotrodkid:

I have always used the supension analyzer from performancetrends.com You can download a trial and it is only good for 10 days but I have had so very good results from it. We are writing our own program this year in matlab with a GUI interface but you would need something serious to trade to get that. By the way what exactly are you after for your project? If you have auto cad you can do it yourself but it will take forever. You can draw it in solidworks using dynamic sketches and do it real fast but it is a pain having to constantly resnap dimensions and/or driver dimensions. It just nice to have a spreadsheet to see the changes.

ill have to download the perf. trends program and see what i can do with it.
what im doing is motor swapping a stut suspension car that requires an altering of the whel base in the process, instead of moving the struts, i want to convert the car to dual a-arm’s and coil over shocks

the car has tie rods @ the same height as the LCA’s so i should be fine on bumpsteer, so i just have to figur out UCA geometry for proper camber, scrub radius and roll center height

i would love to be able to run an autocad / solidworks type program, but my computer doesnt have nearly enough ram to support it, plus even tho i have a 1.8g CPU, its only a celeron

id love to get a copy of the program you guys are making in metlab, but i highly doubt i have anything worth trading

a preliminary poking around w/ the perf trends software shows that the 2001 corvette front suspension has a LCA setup very similar to the project car,
should be able to recreat the UCA’s with little effort. very promising :slight_smile: