salvage to r-title questions

my hatch is about ready to go for r-title inspection.

first off does anyone here do them? if not its going to turdtegs usual place.

these questions were brought up bt people who saw the car…need some verification my exhaust comes out the side before the rear passender side tire…we were told its got to have a “stock” type exhaust coming out the back to pass?

I have a Momo steering wheel…we were told a stock wheels has to go back on with no srs/airbag lights showing & a working horn? ride hight?

the car is lowrered…we were also told that it might cause an issue? any info, tips, and/or referrals would be appriciated.

I took my car to Dependable Brake and Exhaust on Rt.51 for the initial Salvage inspection.

And from what I was told from the Notary, it has to have all OEM stuff in place. Some notaries may be different, but you need to take pics of the car to send in to the state and it has to look clean and straight for them to send you back an R title.

this is the form to be filled out for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-426B.pdf

you do have to have a working horn, to even pass state inspection.

sure you do :wink:

i was just wondering if it had to be on the steering wheel, can the button be elsewhere on the dash?

TATKOS Auto wrecking does it for $150 bux

if you take it to where Jay (turdteg) has his stuff done , he tells me that ride height and wheels dont matter , just as long as everything is there and works… you could throw some steelies on your hatch with hubcaps and you should be good , no one is gnna see the exhaust (i love the way it sounds btw)

In some part it’s just going to depend on who is doing the inspection, but if anything in the photos shows up (like the side exit) I have been told from my notary buddy that the State is strict about the “original manufacturer’s specifications and appearance.” This would suggest that to be in complete compliance, you can only have factory equipment on the car, including suspension, exhaust, a Honda steering wheel, and so on. My hunch is that some places are probably lenient with things that they’ve slipped by the State before. Your horn/steering wheel, for example, is not going to show up in the photos, so that will probably just depend on the inspector.

Here is some info from the PA Code and PennDOT regulations:

Horn
45 PA Code § 4535 Audible warning devices.
(a) General rule.–Every motor vehicle operated on a highway shall be equipped with a horn or other audible warning device of a type approved in regulations of the department.

So then we go to PennDOT regulations…

§175.76 Horns and Warning Devices
(b) Horn and Warning Device Requirements - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have a horn or other warning device which is audible under normal conditions at a distance of not less than 200 feet. No vehicle shall be equipped with a siren, bell, whistle or similar device emitting any unreasonably loud or harsh sound except emergency vehicles and vehicles equipped with an anti-theft device.

FWIW, the horn button on my LeCar is not on the steering wheel. My Red one has a MOMO wheel from the factory and the horn is activated by pressing the turn signal stalk in towards the steering column.

Lowering
The lowering issue is that for inspection, “some part of the main horizontal bumper bar must fall within 16-20 inches above ground level.”

Salvage -> R Title procedure

1. You can take your own pictures. You need clear photos of the front, rear, and both sides.

2. You need a receipt for any of the “major components” replaced as listed on the MV-426B form.

3. Perhaps most important is this statement from PennDOT:

Reconstructed Vehicles must be restored to their original operating condition as designed by the vehicle manufacturer and must conform to the original manufacturer’s specifications and appearance. This includes (but is not limited to) air
bags, seat belt/restraint systems, emissions components, etc.

Idn how it is there but in NY you cant have tinted windows. I had to peel mine for the inspection. I also have a aftermarket exhaust, and it is lowered too and they didnt say anything about that. Good luck

:gives: He’s in Pennsylvania.

went to Marshes…all done. just have to get inspection stickers, this week & then put back on my exhaust & momo.

thanks to all who helped me get it back on the road…its been a serious pain in the ass

Been a while, hasn’t it? That still the same one you’d started working on when you got the SRX?

nooo
in short:
had the red hatch…got hit…totaled (side-rear pretty bad)
got a blue blue…swapped all the stuff over, drove it for about 1.5yrs got hit (november) & totaled, but not bad so we rebuilt